- 2–3 lb. boneless pork shoulder roast (we used a 2.5 lb roast)
- 1/4 cup pork rub*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth (or any kind)
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 3 whole garlic cloves, smashed and minced
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- First, (if you haven’t already) mix together all of the dry rub spices in a bowl using a fork to get rid of any lumps! You only need 1/4 cup of this rub, so you can save the rest for later.
- Next, rub the spice mixture all over your pork roast with your hands. Be sure that every inch of the roast is covered. Set aside.
- Turn on the Instant Pot’s saute feature and add two tablespoons of olive oil.
- When olive oil is fragrant add pork roast and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side to brown the pork.
- Remove pork from Instant Pot and deglaze your Instant Pot by pouring half of the broth (1/2 cup) onto the bottom of the pot. Scrape all of the brown bits from the bottom the Instant Pot with a spatula.
- Next, add onion and garlic to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Then, add the rest of the broth to the Instant Pot and place the pork roast back into the Instant Pot.
- Turn off the saute feature and then put the lid on. Seal the Instant Pot and set it to manual high pressure for 90 minutes. It should take a little bit to build pressure before it starts to count down from 90.
- Once the timer goes off, quick release the pressure from the Instant Pot and remove the pork roast. Save 1 cup of the cooking liquid for later. Discard the rest of the liquid.
- Place the pork back into the Instant Pot and shred it with two forks The pork should shred very easily. If it doesn’t, you likely need to continue cooking.
- Once shredded, Pour the remaining cup of cooking liquid and the bbq sauce over the pork and mix well.
- Turn the saute feature on the Instant Pot and let the pork cook for 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately on your favorite bun!
Tips & Notes
- If you don’t have our pork rub made, here’s what you need: 2 tablespoons brown sugar, ½ tablespoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, ½ tablespoon coarse sea salt, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, and ½ teaspoon ground pepper.
- To make paleo: use coconut sugar instead of brown sugar and use a paleo-friendly bbq sauce.
- To make keto: omit brown sugar and use a keto-friendly bbq sauce.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/8 Calories: 348 Sugar: 5 Fat: 21 Carbohydrates: 10 Fiber: 0 Protein: 25
Category: MeatMethod: Instant PotCuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Pulled Pork