- 1.5 cups uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium white onion, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup minced jalapeños, seeded (~2 small jalapeños or 1 large)*
- 1/3 cup white whole wheat
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 cups chopped kale, packed
- First, prepare quinoa. Place uncooked quinoa and broth in a medium saucepan and heat over medium/high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cover. Let simmer for around 15 minutes or until all liquid has absorbed. Set aside.
- Next, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium/high heat. When the olive oil is fragrant add onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Then, add minced garlic and continue to sauté until the onions are translucent. Add in minced jalapeños and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Now, make the cheese sauce. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil to the pot with the jalapeños in it. Then, sprinkle in white whole wheat flour and sauté with a wooden utensil until a paste forms. Whisk in milk and continue to heat over medium/high heat until thickened. This will take 2-3 minutes. Once the milk is thick, add in Greek yogurt and whisk. Then, add in 1/2 cup a cheese at a time and whisk until all cheese is melted. Finally, add in salt and pepper and mix.
- Once everything is smooth, add in packed kale and continue to stir over the heat until the kale has wilted.
- Stir in cooked quinoa.
- Serve immediately topped with cooked bacon*.
Tips & Notes
- This recipe was updated on January 26, 2021. For the original recipe CLICK HERE.
- Jalapeños: if you like it extra spicy, feel free to add a few seeds to the pot.
- Bacon: we topped this quinoa mac and cheese with cooked bacon, diced.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 521 Sugar: 7 Sodium: 773 Fat: 27 Carbohydrates: 38 Fiber: 4 Protein: 7
Keywords: quinoa mac and cheese