What is the first thing I do at 5 am when I wake up? EAT. The sun hasn’t even risen and I’m stuffing my face with a giant bowl of overnight oatbran. I’ve pretty much given up on taking photographs of my breakfast due to the early morning poor lighting. Like today for instance: I attempted to take a picture of my overnight oats and just couldn’t find the correct setting to make my breakfast look appealing.
I did however manage to take some savvy photos of the brancakes I made for the sister and sister boy this morning. I call these guys: Love Cakes.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1C oat bran
- 5T whole wheat flour (you may need to add more in order to get the correct consistency)
- 1T chia seeds
- 1C vanilla almond milk (or any kind of milk)
- 1C frozen berries
- 1T honey (optional)
- 1t vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1/2t baking soda
1. In a medium sized bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Then, mix in wet ingredients. You may need to add a few extra tablespoons of whole wheat flour depending on the consistency.
2. Spray a large skillet with non stick cooking spray and heat on low heat. *It is very important you keep the burner on low because the oat bran takes a few minutes longer to cook than regular pancakes.
3. Pour ~1/4C of batter onto the skillet and cook on low for about 2-3 minutes. The sides of the brancake will begin to brown and then you know it is safe to flip.
4. Cook the second side for an additional 2-3 minutes.
The frozen berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries) turned the batter pink. How cute.
I topped these guys with drippy peanut butter, chia seeds, and fresh raspberries.
If only I wasn’t so impatient. I could be eating lavish breakfasts like this every single morning!