- 1 cup all-natural peanut butter, drippy*
- 10 medjool dates, pitted
- 2 scoops Organic Fuel Chocolate Whey Protein Powder (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Place peanut butter, dates, protein powder, cocoa powder, maple syrup, and salt in a high-speed food processor. Process on high until you’ve pulverized the dates and created a dough-like consistency. Depending on how drippy your peanut butter is and how soft your dates are, you may need to add a teaspoon or two of water. You want your dough to be a similar consistency to cookie dough.
- Next, scoop out a tablespoon of dough at a time and roll between your palms. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat until all dough is gone. You should get around 24 balls.
- Once all balls have been rolled, transfer baking sheet into the freezer for 20 minutes.
- While the balls are in the freezer, make your chocolate coating.
- Place 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips in a small bowl. Melt in the microwave for 60-90 seconds, stopping to stir a few times so it doesn’t burn.
- Once balls have firmed up, remove from freezer. Use a fork to dip balls into chocolate, coating almost completely, but leaving a hole at the top for the “buckeye.”
- Tap fork on the side of the bowl so that you can remove as much excess chocolate as possible. Then, use a wooden skewer or toothpick to slide buckeye off of your fork and back onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat until you’ve coated all balls.
- Place sheet back into the freezer for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
- We recommend using an all-natural, drippy peanut butter for this recipe. We prefer Kirkland, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe’s brands of all-natural peanut butter.
- Make sure the medjool dates you are using are fresh and soft.
- Store these buckeyes in the freezer for up to 3 months. We like to place the already frozen buckeyes into a freezer-safe gallon-size bag.
- Nutrition is calculated with only 1/3 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil because you will have some chocolate leftover.
Serving Size: 1 buckeye