French Toast Bake
- 1 loaf of fresh bakery sourdough (8 cups chunked), chopped*
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1.5 cups milk (any kind)
- 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 4 tablespoons butter or coconut oil, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a 10 x 7-inch casserole dish* with cooking spray.
- Use a knife to chop your sourdough into small chunks. If your sourdough is fresh from the bakery, it might be easier to tear the pieces apart with your hands. Place inside of your dish.
- Then, sprinkle on 1 cup of chopped pecans and mix with sourdough pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, Greek yogurt, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and milk.
- Pour on top of sourdough and use your hands to press the bread into the egg mixture, submerging it. You want to make sure you do this to fully coat all pieces of bread.
- Place in refrigerator overnight OR for at least 30 minutes if you’d like to bake the morning of.
- Make streusel topping by mixing together white whole wheat flour, chopped pecans, brown sugar, and butter.
- Remove French toast bake from the refrigerator and use your hands to submerge the bread in the egg mixture one more time before baking. Cover with tin foil and bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes, covered. Remove and add topping. Bake for another 15-25 minutes, uncovered depending on what consistency you like for your French toast bake.
- Let cool for at least 5-10 minutes before slicing.
Tips & Notes
- Option to use a store-bought loaf that is used for sandwiches. Make sure to measure out 8 cups.
- If you’re using a bigger casserole dish (such as a 9×13-inch), you’ll likely need to reduce the bake time by 5-10 minutes.
- Nutrition is for 8 servings.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/8 recipe Calories: 398 Sugar: 22 Sodium: 146 Fat: 26 Carbohydrates: 30 Fiber: 1 Protein: 12
Keywords: French toast casserole, overnight french toast bake