Quinoa + Coffee + Chocolate + Coconut = BEST BREAKFAST EVER.
And that’s not even an exaggeration.
Yesterday I was trying to think of an innovative way to make quinoa. I’ve made many different ways. Sweet and salty. For dinner and for breakfast. In chili. In a grain free granola. In salsa. Even in cornbread.
This time, I combined 2 of my favorite things ever- chocolate and coffee with a hint of coconut cream to make the bestest most satisfying most flavorful breakfast EVER!
Just think. You can have your coffee and eat it too. Literally.
Mocha Latte Breakfast Quinoa
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and uncooked
- 1 heaping cup brewed coffee (aka 1 cup plus a little bit more :D)
- 1 heaping cup coconut water (aka 1 cup plus a little bit more :D)
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (topping)
- In a medium size sauce pan, bring 1 cup quinoa, 1 heaping cup brewed coffee, 1 heaping cup coconut water, and 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips to a rolling boil. Then, turn down to low, cover, and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the quinoa thickens and the liquid is almost gone. **I noticed this took a little bit longer to cook than normal quinoa. Just an observation.** Serve hot and with a few tablespoons of coconut cream on top.
I thought about adding some organic cane sugar, but the 1/4 cup of vegan chocolate chips definitely does it. I like sweet but not super sweet. I kept the coconut cream (which I got from Trader Joe’s BTW) unsweetened too.
The coconut cream is definitely a must. Especially if it’s a little bit chilled. Poured on top of steaming hot Mocha Latte Quinoa is like heaven in a bowl.
And because Fit Foodie Finds loves Quinoa recipes. Here are a few of my favorites from the recipe vault!