- 1/2 cup shredded apples (moisture removed)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots (moisture removed)
- 1.5 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (+ more for topping)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (+ more for topping)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup raisins or craisins
- 1 tablespoon flax seed (or ground, if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Fresh orange zest (optional, for topping)
- Rolled oats (optional, for topping)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- First, preheat oven to 350ºF and line a muffin tin with muffin liners. We suggest spraying your muffin liners with cooking spray just in case.
- Next, use a cheese grater or food processor to grate apple and carrots (skin on or off, your preference!). We prefer to use a medium/large grate, so that we can taste the apple and carrot chunks.
- Place grated apple and carrot on top of 2 pieces of paper towel and squeeze out as much moisture as you can.
- Measure out ½ cup of shredded apples and ½ cup shredded carrots and place into a medium-size bowl along with the rest of the dry ingredients. Mix.
- In a large bowl, crack 2 eggs and whisk. Add maple syrup, applesauce, orange juice, and vanilla extract, and mix again.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and then mix.
- Finally, add in melted coconut oil and mix again.
- Fill each muffin cup only about 3/4 of the way full (these are going to be fluffy muffins!). Top each muffin with shredded coconut, chopped pecans, and flax seeds (optional).
- Then, place in the oven at 350ºF and bake for 18-22 minutes or until the center is fully cooked.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and zest with fresh orange zest.
- Then, remove from the muffin tin to continue cooling.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/18 Calories: 154 Sugar: 14 Sodium: 62 Fat: 5 Carbohydrates: 24 Fiber: 2 Protein: 3
Keywords: morning glory muffins