- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into tablespoon pads
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups rolled oats, lightly pulverized
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsely grated carrot, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- First, preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Next, cut cold butter into 1-tablespoon pads and place into a stand mixer.
- Add brown sugar and then turn your stand mixer on to medium.
- Cream butter and sugar together until there are no more lumps of butter and the consistency is smooth. This should take around 5 minutes.
- While the butter is creaming, lightly pulverize rolled oats in a food processor. The goal here is to still have some chunks of oatmeal, but also have some oat flour. Then, transfer into a large bowl.
- Add white whole wheat flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt to the same large bowl and mix until combined.
- Once the butter has creamed, add egg and vanilla extract and mix on medium until combined. Make sure not to over mix!
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to wet and mix on medium until a dough has formed. You may need to stop to scrape the bottom of your mixer. The consistency should be a little bit sticky, but have the ability to form into a ball.
- Finally, add in grated carrot, walnuts, and raisins, and mix one final time on medium to combine.
- Use a 1.5 tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop dough into your hands. Roll into a ball and then slightly flatten between your palms to create a cookie shape. Place on a cookie sheet and repeat.
- Bake at 350ºF for 12-14 minutes.
- Once the bottoms are golden brown, remove from cookie sheet immediately and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Top with optional sea salt before serving.
Serving Size: 1/16
Category: DessertMethod: OvenCuisine: American