Pork Chops Brine
- 4 cups water
- ¼ cup salt
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- Peel of a medium orange
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 bone-in pork chops (~2-lbs.), 1 ¼-inch thick
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- First, make the brine. Pour water and salt into a large Pyrex measuring cup or bowl with a spout. Whisk the 2 ingredients together until the salt dissolves.
- Add the apple juice, peppercorns, orange peel, and bay leaves to the brine and mix again. Set aside.
- Prepare the pork chops by patting each pork chop with a paper towel and then score the fatty part of the pork chops a few times to avoid any bucking during the bake time.
- Place the pork chops in a plastic bag and pour the brine over the pork. Seal the bag and place it in the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes.
- While the pork chops are sitting in the brine, add the garlic powder, brown sugar, paprika black pepper, and bread crumbs to a bowl and mix until combined. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Remove the pork chops from the brine and pat the pork chops dry with a paper towel.
- Sprinkle half the garlic powder mixture over the pork chops, flip and pour the remaining mixture over the other side of the pork chops. Be sure to pat the dry rub into the pork chops.
- Place the pork chops on the baking sheet and drizzle them with olive oil.
- Bake the pork chops for 10 minutes at 400ºF and then flip the pork chops over and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Turn the oven to broil and broil the pork chops for 1-3 minutes or until golden brown. Make sure to keep a close eye so they don’t burn! Check the internal temperature, it should be around 140ºF.
- Remove them from the oven and let them rest for 5 minutes so that they can continue to cook and reach 145ºF.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 Calories: 351 Sugar: 10 Fat: 13 Carbohydrates: 16 Fiber: 1 Protein: 28
Keywords: oven baked pork chops, baked pork chops, how to bake pork chops