- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ medium white onion, diced
- 4 cups broccoli, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup matchstick carrots, roughly chopped
- 1.5 teaspoons salt, separated
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese (preferably freshly grated not from a bag)
- Heat a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium/high heat. Add butter.
- When the butter is melted, add the onion and ¼ teaspoon of salt to the pot and cook the onion for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, garlic powder, and another ¼ teaspoon of salt to the pot and sauté for 2-3 additional minutes.
- Pour the broth into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low and carefully remove 1 cup of the broth from the pot and set aside.
- Add the carrots, black pepper and the rest of the salt to the pot and stir. Let the ingredients simmer over low heat.
- Next, add the 1 cup of broth removed from the pot to a medium bowl and whisk the flour into the broth. The mixture will thicken quickly.
- Pour the thickened broth back into the pot and whisk all the ingredients together.
- Add the milk to the pot and whisk.
- Turn heat to medium and let the soup simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and slowly add the shredded cheese to the pot. Consistently stir the cheese into the soup until it is completely incorporated.
- Let the soup simmer over low heat until it is thick and reaches desired temperature and consistency.
Tips & Notes
- Nutrition information does not include bread bowl.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Sugar: 6 Fat: 29 Carbohydrates: 21 Fiber: 4 Protein: 28
Keywords: Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Broccoli Cheddar Soup