- 8 oz. whole wheat penne pasta
- 1/8–1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast (cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 10 oz. cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 3 tablespoons starchy water
- 6 tablespoons pesto, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- toppings: fresh basil and parmesan cheese
- First, fill a large pot about 3/4 of the way full of water and add about 1/8-1/4 teaspoon of salt to the water. Bring to a boil.
- Add pasta and let the pasta cook for about 7-9 minutes or until pasta is al dente. Remove about a 1/4 cup of starchy pasta water and set it aside for later.
- Strain the water from the pasta and set it aside for later.
- Next, heat a large skillet pan over medium/high heat. Add two tablespoons of olive oil to the pan once it’s hot.
- When olive oil is fragrant, add chicken and Italian seasoning. Cook the chicken for about 4-6 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Remove from the pan.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the same pan and then add the onions. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Next, add the garlic to the onions. When garlic is fragrant add the chicken broth to the pan.
- Cook mixture for 3-4 minutes until the broth reduces to half and then add cherry tomatoes and let them cook for 2 minutes.
- Finally, add starchy water and pesto to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Lastly, add cooked chicken and pasta to the pan. Mix until all ingredients are covered with pesto sauce.
- Season with ground pepper and top with fresh basil and parmesan cheese.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 311 Sugar: 1 Fat: 18 Carbohydrates: 11 Fiber: 2 Protein: 1
Category: DinnerMethod: Stove topCuisine: Italian
Keywords: pesto chicken pasta