- 40 grams coffee beans
- 600 mL filtered water (+50ml to wet the filter)
- Measure beans: First, use a food scale to measure your coffee beans. Place a container or your coffee grinder on the scale, then zero it out. Measure 40 grams coffee beans.
- Grind beans: Transfer your coffee beans in a grinder and pulse until they are a medium grind– similar to the texture of panko breadcrumbs.
- Heat water: Using an electric kettle, heat your water to 200ºF, or just before it begins to boil.
- Wet the filter: place a filter into your Chemex or pour over and place the pour over on a scale. zero the scale and pour 50 mL of water into the filter, making sure to wet it evenly on all sides. Discard the water in the bottom of your pour over, making sure to leave the filter as it is.
- Add the coffee grounds to the filter: you don’t want to pack them tightly but you do want a smooth and even layer across the top.
- Bloom the coffee grounds: Zero the scale again and pour 75 mL of water over the coffee grounds, making sure to pour in a spiral direction so water covers all of the grounds evenly. Allow the pour over to sit for one minute to bloom.
- Pour remaining water: Slowly pour the remaining water into the pour over. Make sure to pour the water in a spiral motion again to ensure that all of the grounds are wet evenly. Pouring the water should take about three minutes, which means you should be pouring 30 ML of water every 10 seconds. The brewing process should take around 5-10 minutes.
- Once you’ve added all of the water, allow the pour over to sit for an additional minute to drain the additional water.
- Remove the filter and enjoy!
Tips & Notes
- If your scale does not measure in mL, you can simply measure in grams. Water converts 1:1 from mL to grams. So, 600 mL of water is the same thing as 600 grams of water.
- The total brew time should be around 5-10 minutes. If your brew time takes too long, consider using a coarser grind next time. If it brews too quickly, consider using a finer grind.
Keywords: pour over coffee, how to make pour over coffee