For the Patty
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 cloves garlic
- 1 15oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats, gluten-free if desired
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Sauce
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek or dairy-free yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (~1/4 lime)
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Make quinoa by bringing 1/4 cup quinoa and 1/2 cup of water to a boil. Then, reduce heat to low and cover. Let simmer for around 15 minutes or until all water has absorbed. Set aside.
- Next, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a fry pan over medium heat. Peel garlic cloves and then flatten the cloves with a knife. Add to fry pan.
- Sauté the garlic cloves for 5-7 minutes until golden brown and fragrant.
- Add garlic, black beans, sunflower seeds, oats, cinnamon and cumin to the food processor and pulse until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine black bean mixture, onion, quinoa and red pepper. Mix well. It may help to use your hands!
- Next, scoop 1/3 cup of veggie burger mixture (a heaping scoop) and form into patties. Repeat until all black bean mixture is gone.
- Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes, flipping burgers 10 minutes through. (would not recommend grilling)
- While burgers are baking. Prepare chili sauce by mixing all ingredients together.
- Serve each burger with about a tablespoon of sauce.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 253 Sugar: 2.2 Fat: 11 Carbohydrates: 27 Fiber: 4 Protein: 10
Keywords: black bean burger