For the Casserole
- 15 oz. chicken breast (~2 large)
- 1.5 cups germinated brown rice
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cups broccoli, chunked
For the Sauce
- 1.5 cups orange juice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cups tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground ginger
- 2 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and spray your casserole dish with coconut oil cooking spray (be generous!).
- Next, prep veggies by dicing the yellow onion and chopping broccoli into chunks. Sprinkle veggies in to casserole dish.
- Prep chicken breast by cutting it into small pieces and then placing on top of the vegetables.
- Add germinated brown rice into the casserole dish and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together all ingredients for the sauce.
- Add sauce mixture to the casserole dish and use a large spoon to mix all ingredients together, making sure everything is (mostly) covered.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Then, remove and stir. It will still be a little soupy, but don’t worry this is how it’s suppose to be! Place back in oven for 30 minutes, covered.
- When casserole is done, take out and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
If you are using normal or short grain brown rice, please cook everything BUT the chicken and broccoli for 30 minutes, covered. Then, add the chicken and broccoli and continue to cook as directed. If the rice is still crunchy when you take it out, cook for an additional 15-30 minutes. Don’t forget to let it sit on your stove top for 15 minutes, as well!
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 421 Sugar: 21 Sodium: 243 Fat: 6 Carbohydrates: 67 Fiber: 4 Protein: 27
Keywords: orange chicken