- 3/4 cup polenta
- 4 cups broth or water
- .7 oz. grana padano cheese
- 3/4 oz. goat cheese
- 1 clove garlic, grated (or more, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 oz. sweet peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cajun spice blend (or more, to taste)
- 1 bunch collard greens, sliced
- 2 large eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- First, prepare grits. Fill a medium pot with 4 cups of broth/water and add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Prep grana padano cheese by grating it with the small side of a box grater and set aside.
- Once broth/water is boiling, add polenta to the pot and whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium and whisk frequently to prevent lumps from forming. Cook for around 10-12 minutes or until the polenta is thickened and the water has been absorbed.
- Turn off heat and add goat cheese crumbles, half of the grated grana padano cheese, and grated garlic clove and whisk until combined and the cheese is melted.
- Give the grits a taste and season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Next, cook the vegetables. Heat 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a medium pan over medium/high heat.
- Once fragrant add sliced shallot and peppers. Season with salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon of cajun spice blend.
- Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally or until slightly softened.
- Next, add sliced collard greens. Saute for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until the collard greens are wilted and the liquid has cooked off.
- Transfer veggies to a bowl and cover with foil to keep them warm.
- Last, fry eggs. In the same pan, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium/high heat.
- Once olive oil is fragrant, crack the eggs into the pan, keeping them separate. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook eggs for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the whites are set and the yolks are cooked to your desired degree of doneness.
- Serve the cheesy grits topped with cooked vegetables and fried eggs. Option to season it with more cajun seasoning and the rest of the grated grana padano cheese.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/2 Calories: 490 Sugar: 6 Fat: 16 Carbohydrates: 69 Fiber: 9 Protein: 23
Category: DinnerMethod: Stove-TopCuisine: Southern
Keywords: cheesy grits