- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 4-oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup fat-free greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1.5 cups uncooked white quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large russet potato, diced into small cubes
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 15-oz. cans artichoke hearts, drained and diced
- 5 oz. fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- First, preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a large casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Next, add quinoa, garlic, potato, onion, chopped artichoke hearts, spinach, and broth to the bottom of your casserole dish and mix. Set aside.
- Prepare the roux. Heat a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add butter.
- When butter is melted add flour to the saucepan and whisk together. When the butter and flour form a paste or crumble, slowly pour the milk into the saucepan, whisking consistently while pouring.
- Whisk the mixture over medium heat until the milk mixture begins to thicken (about 4-5 minutes).
- Turn heat to low and whisk the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, salt, pepper, and garlic into the milk mixture until smooth.
- Remove from heat and add the cheese and salt to the saucepan. Whisk until the cheese sauce is thick and creamy.
- Pour sauce on top of veggies and then mix, making sure everything is submerged.
- Cover casserole dish with a piece of tin foil and then bake at 375ºF for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and mix. Cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until you can easily pierce your potatoes with a fork and the quinoa has sprouted.
- Remove from oven, top with the mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese and place back into the oven, uncovered, for another 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
Tips & Notes
*This recipe was changed on October 18th 2020.