- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal*
- 2.5 cups grated sweet potato (~1 large sweet potato)*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3/4 cup super-fine almond flour
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk (any kind)
- 1 large white onion, caramelized**
- 2 cups fresh spinach, packed
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 oz. goat cheese crumbles
- Preheat oven to 425ºF and wipe a 9-inch circular pan (we used a cast iron that is 2.5-inches in depth) with olive oil and sprinkle with cornmeal. Set aside.
- Start your crust by placing the grated sweet potato in a medium-sized bowl. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and let sit for 15-20 minutes. You do this to draw the moisture out of the sweet potato before forming our crust.
- Place sweet potato in the middle of two paper towels and twist. You should be able to wring out any access liquid. Note that some sweet potatoes are moister than others.
- Next, place sweet potato in a medium-sized bowl with all other crust ingredients and mix well. Use your hands to form a ball with the sweet potato mixture.
- Place sweet potato ball onto the pan and use your hands to flatten the sweet potato ball into a crust for your frittata. It should cover the bottom and halfway up the sides.
- Place in the oven and bake at 425ºF for 20 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven and let cool.
- While crust is cooling, prep all vegetables for the quiche. Measure out 2 cups of packed spinach, caramelize a large white onion, and chop a red pepper. Set aside.
- Place 8 eggs and 1/4 cup of milk into a medium-size bowl and whisk.
- Next, place caramelized onion, spinach, and red pepper on top of the sweet potato crust and pour egg mixture over the veggies. Use your hands or a spatula to make sure the veggies are submerged in the eggs.
- Top eggs and veggies with sun-dried tomatoes and goat cheese.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 20 minutes at 425ºF. Remove tin foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- To make this recipe grain-free you can sub almond flour for the cornmeal.
- Nutrition information includes an additional 4 tablespoons of olive oil for the caramelized onions. See THIS recipe for reference.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 365 Sugar: 6 Fat: 25 Carbohydrates: 20 Fiber: 4 Protein: 16
Keywords: sweet potato crust quiche