- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 cubes
- 2 large carrots, cut into coins
- 4 medium stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano (or dried oregano)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 4-oz. can green chiles
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 15-oz. can white northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chopped kale
- Place olive oil in a large stockpot or dutch oven and heat over medium/high heat.
- When olive oil is fragrant, add sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, mushrooms, onion, garlic, and salt.
- Saute for around 10 minutes. Then, add the rest of the ingredients (minus the white beans and kale) and bring to a boil over medium/high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cover. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Then, add in the white beans and kale and mix. Cover and bring to a boil again over medium/high heat.
- Once boiling, turn down to low and let simmer for another 20 minutes or until the lentils are fully cooked.
Tips & Notes
- This recipe was updated on 9/23/19.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/10 Calories: 224 Sugar: 7 Fat: 12 Carbohydrates: 35 Fiber: 11 Protein: 11
Keywords: lentil stew