Pot Roast Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Beef Roast + Veggies
- 2.5 lb. chuck boneless pot roast
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided (2 tablespoons and 2 tablespoons)
- 5 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped (green part cut off)
- 6 medium carrots, chopped
- 6 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 6 medium red potatoes (4 cups quartered)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- First, prepare pot roast seasoning by mixing together all of the spices in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Next, generously sprinkle seasoning on top of pot roast, rubbing it into all of the nooks and crannies. Make sure that you cover the entire thing (all 4 sides) with the seasoning as this is what adds so much flavor. Set aside.
- Prepare veggies by chopping a small white onion. Cut the green part off of your leek and chop the white part into 2-inch chunks, chop carrots and celery and quarter red potatoes. Set aside.
- Next, saute veggies. turn on the Instant Pot’s sauté feature. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When olive oil is fragrant, add in garlic cloves, white onion, and leek. Save the carrots, celery, and potatoes for later in the recipe. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove veggies from Instant Pot and set aside.
- Next, saute pot roast. Add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil to the Instant Pot and keep the sauté feature on.
- Add pot roast to the Instant Pot and sauté for 3-4 minutes on each side to brown.
- Turn off the sauté feature and remove pot roast from Instant Pot.
- Deglaze Instant Pot by adding wine, beef broth, and Worcestershire sauce. Use a wooden spoon to scrape all of the brown bits from the bottom to prevent the burn notice from happening.
- Then, add the leek, onion, and garlic back into the Instant Pot along with any leftover spices from the rub. Give it a quick mix. Place the pot roast on top of the veggies.
- Cover the Instant Pot and turn the valve to seal.
- Set the Instant Pot to manual >> high >> and set the timer to 90 minutes. The Instant Pot will take around 10 minutes to build pressure before it starts to count down from 90.
- Once the timer goes off, quick release the Instant Pot and let all of the steam come out.
- Carefully remove all of the meat from the Instant Pot and place on a large baking sheet or plate. Set aside.
- Keep the gravy in the Instant Pot and add other veggies. Place the quartered potatoes, carrots, and celery on top of gravy.
- Close the Instant Pot and turn the valve to seal. Set the Instant Pot to manual >> high >> and set the timer to 2 minutes. Again, the Instant Pot will take some time for the pressure to build before it starts to count down from 2 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, quick release and let all of the steam come out. Open the Instant Pot and remove all veggies.
- Next, thicken gravy. Turn on the Instant Pot’s sauté feature and sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Use a whisk to continually whisk cornstarch until it dissolves and thickens. This should take 3-5 minutes. Once thickened, transfer the gravy to a jar for serving.
- Serve pot roast and veggies with gravy.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/8 Calories: 447 Sugar: 8 Fat: 19 Carbohydrates: 37 Fiber: 4 Protein: 28
Category: DinnerMethod: Instant PotCuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Pot Roast