2 more days and Blake and I (and Linley) will be on our way to MISSOULA! I am so excited I can hardly sleep at night. Today’s recipe was inspired by a recipe I did about a year ago for Anytime Fitness: Healthified Chicken Salad Sandwiches. I used the same base of Greek yogurt and honey, but changed some flavors around and threw it in the middle of a whole wheat ciabatta bun.
Update on my gluten sensitivity: I have slowly been adding more and more gluten back into my diet and things seem fine stomach-wise and skin wise. For now, I still try and avoid it when I can, but do not restrict it from my diet completely- like these wonder ciabatta buns!
I love that grapes are back in season. None of this > $5.00/pound nonsense! I got a really good batch of purple grapes for $1.79/pound at my new favorite grocery store: Jerry’s Foods. If you live in the Twin Cities, I highly suggest hunting down a Jerry’s Foods. They have an amazing selection of produce, baked good, and meat (I can’t stress meat enough!). Jerry’s is also where I got the chicken for this post.
Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
Ingredients (Note: to make this recipe gluten free, lose the bun!)
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1T olive oil
- 1t salt
- 1t pepper
- 8 oz plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4C honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1C grapes, halved
- 1/3C slivered almonds
- handful of organice spring lettuce
- 8 whole wheat ciabatta buns
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees farenheight. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper and place in a pan with 1T olive oil. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked.
- Dice chicken into bite size pieces and let cool in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix together yogurt, honey, and lemon juice and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together grapes, chicken breast, and almonds. Then pour on dressing and toss.
- Serve in between a whole wheat ciabatta bun with organic spring lettuce.
In my original recipe on Anytime Health, I used 1/4 cup poppy seed dressing. I did miss that in this recipe, so feel free to add it back in! I just didn’t have any on hand at the time :)
See- look at those perfect grapes…nice job Jerry!
And now for the real Throwback Thursday. The sister and I back in high school during Varsity Soccer. I was a sophomore (#4) and she was a Junior :) Oh do I miss my soccer days. I played competitive soccer all year round, but my favorite experience was definitely high school soccer. I am a lefty, so outside-left mid was my homebase. I wish I knew how to train properly and eat a proper diet to increase my strength and insurance during this time in my life! No regrets, right?