These Twice-Baked Turkey Sweet Potato Enchilada Boats are healthy, packed with nutrients, and a delicious spin on your favorite enchilada flavors! These delicious potatoes are perfect for meal-prep or a fun weeknight dinner!
Happy Friday, my party people! It’s Linley here. Lee is shredding the nar in Utah with the family and I’m holding down the fort for Team Fit Foodie! Tis the season for travel. Lee and I are on opposite travel schedules for the next couple months. As we were planning things out for when she is going to be gone and vice-versa, I was reminded how grateful I am to be a part of such an amazing team.
The amount of knowledge that I have gained working on Team Fit Foodie over these past couple years always takes my breath away a little bit. I am so fortunate to have a job that I love, that allows me to travel and work with my best friend every day. The list goes on and on. I took some hard work and quite a bit of time to find a balance, but by-golly I think we’ve done it! Another reason I love what I do is that I get to make recipes like this Twice-Baked Turkey Sweet Potato Enchilada Boat recipe!
Raise your hand if you love enchilada sauce! I seriously love all of FFF’s recipes that use our homemade enchilada sauce (or store bought if that’s what you’re in to!). We have some GREAT enchilada inspired recipes on FFF. Check them out!
Fit Foodie Find Enchilada Recipes
- Superfood Enchilada Dip
- Crock-Pot Quinoa Enchilada Soup
- Healthy Enchilada Casserole with Brown Rice
- The Easiest Healthy Black Bean and Chicken Enchiladas with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
You just can’t beat the complex flavors of letting an enchilada sauce simmer on the stove. If you are an enchilada lover, you should keep a spare jar of enchilada sauce in your refrigerator at all times, am I right?!
When we were developing this recipe, we had just had some delicious classic twice baked potatoes at the river house. We are HUGE fans of sweet potatoes (as you know) and thought a twice baked sweet potato would be right up FFF’s alley. We wanted to take all of our favorite elements of an enchilada and make a delicious gluten-free, veggie-packed option! We did it. These Twice-Baked Turkey Sweet Potato Enchilada Boats are absolutely phenomenal!
Get busy and enjoy!!
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 medium red onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1.5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Franks (or more, to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 425º and spray a baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
- Prepare sweet potatoes by poking them with a fork 4-5 times. Spray or rub the sweet potatoes with olive oil cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes.
- While the potatoes are roasting, heat a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add olive oil. When olive oil is fragrant, add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add ground turkey and garlic to the skillet and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until browned. Season with salt and pepper, and remove from heat.
- Next, place all ingredients for the enchilada sauce into a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Remove sweet potatoes from the oven and let cool. Once the sweet potatoes are cool enough, cut in half (hotdog style) and carefully remove the inside of the sweet potato, leaving a small layer of sweet potato to keep the skin intact.
- Place 2 cups of the sweet potato flesh into a large bowl and mash with a fork. Add ground turkey, black beans, chopped cilantro, and 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce and mix well.
- Scoop sweet potato mixture into the sweet potato skins. Smother sweet potato halves with more enchilada sauce and bake at 425º for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with optional toppings and enjoy!
Tips & Notes
Nutrition information does not include toppings
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 224 Sugar: 10 Fat: 5 Carbohydrates: 27 Fiber: 6 Protein: 13