- 1¾ cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (for topping)
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoon warm water)
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and spray a 9-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- First, prepare your flax egg. Place 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed and 3 tablespoons of warm water into a small bowl. Whisk and set aside for 15 minutes to thicken.
- Next, mix all of the dry ingredients (except for walnuts) into a medium-sized bowl. Mix until combined and set aside.
- Check your flax egg. If it has thickened and become goopy, you’re ready to rock and roll! If not, wait a few more minutes.
- Place bananas into a separate large bowl and use a fork to mash, making sure to leave some nice sweet chunks of banana. Then, add the flax egg and mix. Add the rest of the wet ingredients (except for coconut oil) to the bowl and mix again.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Finally, add melted coconut oil to the batter and mix again.
- Transfer batter into the loaf pan and make sure that batter is evenly spread out. Sprinkle walnuts over the top of the banana bread and place banana bread into the oven.
- Bake banana bread at 350ºF for 45-50 minutes, covering the banana bread with tin foil at about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool for around 15 minutes and then remove from the loaf pan to continue cooling.
Tips & Notes
- You made need to add a splash more of almond milk depending on how thick your batter is! It should be similar to pancake batter.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/8 Calories: 321 Sugar: 29 Fat: 11 Carbohydrates: 52 Fiber: 5 Protein: 5
Keywords: vegan banana bread, vegan banana bread recipe