- 1.5 lbs. fresh green beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8–0z. bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 medium white onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1.5 cups fried onions (we used French’s, but you can make homemade)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- First, preheat oven to 375ºF. Then, generously spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking.
- Next, wash and pat dry fresh green beans and then snip the ends off with a pair of scissors. Place green beans on the bottom of the casserole dish and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium/high heat. Then, add mushroom and salt and saute 3-5 minutes. Then, add onion and garlic and continue to saute for an additional 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Make a roux by heating a medium saucepan over medium/high heat. Add olive oil. When olive oil is fragrant, add flour and whisk until a crumble or paste forms. While continuing to whisk, slowly pour in almond milk. Whisk for 3-5 minutes over medium heat until it begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and add Worcestershire, salt, pepper, garlic powder, fresh thyme, and vegetable broth and whisk until combined.
- Next, add the mushroom mixture into the sauce and mix to combine. Pour sauce on top of the green beans and mix to combine.
- Cover casserole dish and bake at 375ºF for 15 minutes. Remove and mix. Cover again and bake for 15 more minutes, covered. Remove and mix one more time. Taste your green beans and bake for 10-15 more minutes, covered, or until green beans are cooked.
- Once your green beans are fully cooked, add 1/2 cup of fried onions to your casserole and mix. Then, top the casserole with 1 more cup of fried onions.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/8 Calories: 218 Sugar: 4 Fat: 15 Carbohydrates: 19 Fiber: 4 Protein: 4
Keywords: vegan green bean casserole