Vegan Chai Hot Chocolate

This Vegan Chai Hot Chocolate takes 5 minutes to make, is low calorie, and full of Fall flavor!

Vegan Chai Hot Chocolate- just 78 calories per serving!

I totally didn’t even realize that Tuesday was the first day of Fall. I thought I had at least a week to enjoy the last tid bits of Summer.

Trees are already changing here. There’s an entire street in my neighborhood of hardcore Fall colors. I mean hardcore. #sigh.

Vegan Chai Hot Chocolate- just 78 calories per serving!

I’ve been pulling back on the Fall recipes but Fit Foodie is officially going full force…autumn-style.

So, I sent Blake to the grocery store while I was away in Canada and told him to get me Almond Milk. I can’t live without that stuff. I usually drink the 30 calorie, unsweetened variation, but he came back with the 60 calorie, original variation. He tried, right?!

Turns out- original almond milk is perfect for this recipe! You want it to be slightly sweet, so that the chocolately chai-ey flavors come out! If you only have the unsweetened variation, you can try adding some coconut sugar, honey (not vegan), or maple syrup!

I’m excited to bring out my DIY Chai Spice. It’s been sitting patiently in the cabinet since last winter.

If you are lazy (jk) and don’t want to make your own chai spice, it should be easy to find at this time of year at pretty much any grocery store or Target. I do have to say- making your own mix is SO MUCH BETTER.

DIY Chai Spice

Check out the nutrition stats for this recipe (serves 2):

Per Serving: 78 calories | 12g carbs | 3g fat | 2g protein | 7g sugar

Vegan Chai Hot Chocolate- just 78 calories per serving!

5 from 1 reviews
Vegan Chai Hot Chocolate

Cook time

Per Serving: 78 calories | 12g carbs | 3g fat | 2g protein | 7g sugar
Serves: 2 servings
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Place all ingredients in a medium size sauce pan. Bring to a rolling boil and stir until spices and cocoa powder have dissolved. Reduce heat and let simmer for 3-5 minutes.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 cup

I am slightly obsessed with these little mugs. Target– you get me every single time I walk into the store. For bananas. And walk out $100 poorer.

Vegan Chai Hot Chocolate- just 78 calories per serving!

Love chai? Check out these recipes….

Vegan Chai Overnight Oats

chai-oats

Allergy Friendly Chai Tea Latte

chai-tea-latte

Chai Spiced Apple Chips

chai-apples

1. Jocelyne says

Wow, this looks delish. Two weeks ago I did my own almond milk. Well it was okay, but I still love cow’s milk. And cocoa powder is too strong for me. Last week I did a chia pudding with cocoa powder and it was awful :-)

My maple syrup chia pudding (another variation)turned out too sweet. I thought 1/4 cup is 80ml instead of 60ml hahaha….

But I have to try the chai spice.. I love chai latte!

Love
    Jocelyne

Wellll Geeee I need to try making my own almond milk. I’ve seen so many people do it and I’ve been inspired! Are you using sweetened cocoa powder or unsweetened?! I use unsweetened so that it’s not so intense…and then you can just sweeten it yourself 😀

I can’t believe how warm it’s going to be here this weekend! Like 4 days in a row of 80 degree weather. That’s pretty good for September! Where are you from?!

Come visit me in CA if you’re not quite ready to move into fall yet… Sunny and 90° with no end in sight! I practically have to turn the A/C on full-blast to make it feel like pumpkin weather indoors. 😉 And this chai hot chocolate? Totally brilliant! They’re my mom’s two favorite drinks — she’d get a kick of of this!! Pinned!

Ha ha Target and Costco seriously are the blackholes of shopping. Go in for 1 thing, come out with 10 things you totally don’t need but want! Cute mugs though!
    This looks so good. How many times do you typically need to test a recipe before it comes out the way you want it to? PS I totally send my fiancé for things at the store too and he comes home with the wrong thing. #itsthethoughtthatcounts, right?

Hmmmmmmm all recipes vary. Usually baked good are at least 2 times, but a lot of things come out great the first time…especially if you modify old recipes that worked! This recipe in particular…I had started off with 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder and half the amount of chai spice and then doubled it after taste testing it. Technically I only made it once….

Never even thought of making my own Chai Spice but I’ve got all these spices so why not?
    Also, target might put me in the poor house too so I feel ya. I try not to step foot in there for anything unless I absolutely have to or I’ll go crazy. I keep failing at that tho haha

5. Amanda G says

I just want to say you’re killin it on the recipes lately! I made your rice pudding (last week, I think) and it was so good! Even better cold the next day! I’m thinking I’ll have to make this hot chocolate as a treat tonight.

Also, come to Phoenix if you’re looking for some warm weather. Fall is nowhere to be found!

The best thing about this recipe is how healthy it is! I love drinking hot chocolate, but always feel so guilty after devouring one so I rarely make some. But If I make this recipe, I can have hot chocolate all the time! Thanks for sharing it!

7. Jacqui says

Your chai hot chocolate recipe is phenomenal!! My fiance and I are both allergic to dairy so we looked for a recipe to make our own and this one wins hands down! We live in Phoenix so we never really get hot cocoa weather but we’ve made it for every trip we’ve taken up to the mountains (i.e. – cold weather) this year. Thank you!

8. Diana says

I halved the recipe and used unsweetened vanilla almond milk and two Truvia packets. I topped it with a bit of ReddiWip. It was tasty, but not quite sweet enough for my taste. Next time, I’ll be sure to use sweetened vanilla almond milk.