This 5-star Honey Garlic Chicken is made in the slow cooker and is perfect for any weeknight meal. It’s kid-friendly and made with 5 simple ingredients.
This honey garlic chicken (crock pot) is a Fit Foodie Finds reader favorite. So many of you have made this dish time and time again and we hope you love it!
Seriously the BEST Honey Garlic Chicken
If you are looking for a simple, saucy, flavorful slow cooker chicken breast recipe, then you are going to swoon over this honey garlic chicken.
The honey garlic sauce for this recipe is flavorful, sweet, and spicy all at the same time and is made with just 4 ingredients. The chicken is slow-cooked in the sauce, leaving it super tender and saucy, the perfect topping for your grain of choice.
We love that you literally place all of the ingredients into the slow cooker uncooked (no need to sear in a skillet or pan) and let it do its magic!
5-Ingredients You Need
You read that correctly, this amazing slow cooker honey garlic chicken is made with only 5 ingredients…and chances are you already have them in your pantry! Here’s the line-up:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts: we’re using chicken breast, but you’re more than welcome to use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead.
- Minced garlic: you’re going to need 3 whole tablespoons of minced garlic. Trust us.
- Honey: we love that honey is an all-natural sweetener. Plus, it pairs quite nicely with soy sauce and garlic.
- Soy sauce (or tamari): soy sauce adds a great savory flavor and also has a decent amount of salt in it.
- Red chili garlic sauce: want to add some heat, but not too much spice? A little red chili garlic sauce goes a long way.
Before You Start This Recipe…
what does honey garlic chicken taste like?
This honey garlic chicken recipe is the perfect combination of sweet and spicy. The honey balances out the chili sauce to make a sticky and delicious sauce.
Be sure that the chicken breasts have an internal temperature of 165ºF before shredding the chicken after cooking.
What type of chicken Do I use?
We use chicken breasts for this honey garlic chicken recipe. If you are a dark meat kind of person, feel free to use chicken thighs (boneless or bone-in).
Just be sure you check the temperature of the chicken thighs and remove the bones before shredding the meat.
be sure you spray your slow cooker
We always recommend spraying your slow cooker before cooking anything for a long period of time to avoid burning on the edges of your slow cooker.
How to Make Honey Garlic Chicken Breast
It’s quite simple. All you have to do for this recipe is put all 5 ingredients into a slow cooker, turn it on, and walk away!
Temperature + Cook Time
High: 2-3 hours
Low: for 4-5 hours
- Make the sauce. You want to make the sauce in a separate bowl before pouring it into the slow cooker. Why? You want to make sure the honey has dissolved into the other ingredients.
- Add the chicken breast. Spray the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray and then add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker.
- Pour the sauce. Pour the sauce into the slow cooker over the chicken. Be sure the chicken is covered in the sauce.
- Cook the chicken. Cook on high or on low.
- Shred the chicken. Once the chicken has an internal temperature of 165ºF shred the chicken with two forks.
- Optional thicken. If you like a thicker sauce add 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch to around 1/4 cup sauce and whisk to combine. Then, pour it back into the slow cooker. Mix the chicken with the sauce, cover the slow cooker, and let the sauce thicken.
- Serve over rice. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Instructions
- Place chicken breast and honey garlic sauce into your Instant Pot.
- Cover the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 8-10 minutes. Quick release.
- Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and use 2 forks to shred.
- Thicken sauce by removing 1/4 cup of sauce and whisking it with 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch. Pour the sauce and shredded chicken back into the Instant Pot and mix.
- Turn on the sauté feature and bring the sauce to a boil to activate the cornstarch.
- Once thickened, serve immediately.
What Goes with Honey Garlic Chicken?
You can easily turn this slow cooker chicken breast recipe into an amazing chicken meal prep by pairing it with your favorite grain and stir-fried veggies.
Portion out a serving of honey garlic chicken with a cup of cooked grains and a cup of veggies.
- Grains: brown rice, chicken fried rice, white sticky rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice
- Veggies: green beans, steamed broccoli, or peppers and onions.
a couple more ingredient tips
Make it spicy
If you want to make this honey garlic chicken any spicier, add red pepper flakes or a few teaspoons (or a tablespoon if you’re a fire-breathing dragon!) of sriracha to the honey garlic sauce.
Add some crunch
Serve this honey garlic chicken with sesame seeds or chopped cashews for some extra crunch.
How to Store Honey Garlic Chicken
Store this honey garlic chicken in an air-tight container for 5-7 days in the refrigerator. We recommend keeping the honey garlic chicken separate from other ingredients (rice, veggies, etc.).
Can I Make this a Freezer Meal?
This honey garlic chicken is a great freezer meal if you are meal prepping for yourself or any loved ones.
- Create honey garlic sauce by mixing together minced garlic, honey, soy sauce and red chili garlic sauce until the honey has dissolved.
- Then, place chicken breast into a freezer safe gallon-sized bag and pour sauce on top.
- Remove as much air from the bag as possible and seal tightly.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
Want to learn how to reheat this freezer meal? Check out how here.
- 1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (or tamari)
- 2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
- First, create your honey garlic sauce. Whisk together minced garlic, honey, soy sauce, and red chili garlic sauce un the honey has fully dissolved.
- Next, place chicken breast onto the bottom of your slow cooker. Then, pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Turn slow cooker to high and cook for 2-3 hours OR low and cook for 4-5 hours.
- Once your chicken is fully cooked (165ºF internally) and tender, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and use 2 forks to shred.
- If you wish to thicken the sauce, remove 1/4 cup of the liquid from the slow cooker and whisk in 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch until it dissolved. Then, pour that back into the slow cooker and mix until combined.
- Then, add the chicken back into the crockpot and mix it with the sauce. Cover and let cook for 10 more minutes on high so that the sauce can fully thicken.
- Serve with your favorite grain and vegetable. Top with sesame seeds and green onion.
Tips & Notes
- Nutrition is just for the chicken.
- Cornstarch is optional, but your sauce will be thin if you don’t use it.
- This recipe was slightly updated on January 19, 2022. Nothing major was changed.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 214 Sugar: 23 Fat: 3 Carbohydrates: 26 Fiber: 0 Protein: 25
Keywords: honey garlic chicken, slow cooker honey garlic chicken