Chicken Tortilla Soup has never been easier OR HEALTHIER! Throw everything in your slow cooker and make our favorite crockpot tortilla soup with chicken and kale.
I LOVE SOUP AND SOUP LOVES ME. I actually didn’t realize this until last year. I was never much of a soup girl growing up. It wasn’t until I started hangin’ out with The Healthy Maven (who really need to change her blog name to The Soupy Maven) that I realized how much I loved soup. I think I had a few bad experiences way back when making soup where I didn’t use enough spices so it was really bland. No one likes a bland soup. This chicken tortilla soup crock pot style is far from that!
Flavorful Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Our healthy chicken tortilla soup recipe is made in the crockpot and has a tomato base. So, this soup is kind of like a chili mixed with a brothy soup.
- Crushed tomatoes are essential ingredient #1 for the amazing broth in this delicious slow cooker chicken tortilla soup.
- Essential ingredient #2 is chicken broth! Broth or stock are essential for soups and the combo that chicken broth has with crushed tomatoes is on point.
- #3 is the chicken itself…because it wouldn’t be chicken tortilla soup without the chicken. Make sure you buy boneless, skinless chicken breast for this recipe!
- Essential ingredient(s) #4 is…SPICES.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Spices
I’m telling you, spices really are the key to any soup. That also includes…the salt content! Salt is an important factor is delicious soup making because it really helps bring out all of the other flavors! That What spices are in this crockpot tortilla soup?
- garlic powder
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
I guarantee you have all of those staples spices in your pantry. And if you don’t- I suggest you pick those up ASAP! Good news? Amazon delivers same day now :P
Is Chicken Tortilla Soup Healthy?
One last thing before I let you go make this soup. What makes this soup…healthy?
Well, first of all…it’s made from scratch! More likely than none your soup is going to be healthier than a canned soup because you know exactly what’s in it. You can also control the salt and fat content of your soup. Second, it’s creamed up with Greek yogurt…not actual cream! Greek yogurt is high in protein and low in fat. If you omit the Greek, you’re still going to get an uber flavorful chicken tortilla soup!
More Healthy Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Hamburger Soup
- Taco Soup
- Loaded Cauliflower Potato Soup
- Spicy Coconut Thai Curry Soup
- Tuscan Turkey Soup
- 30-Minute Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
Crock-Pot Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup with Kale
Chicken Tortilla Soup has never been easier OR HEALTHIER! Throw everything in your crock-pot and you’ve got dinner ready before you know it!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 20 minutes
For the Soup
- 16 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (~2 large)
- 4 cups kale, deboned
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz. can sweet corn, drained
- 1 4.5-oz. can green chiles
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2–3 tablespoons Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (depending on how hot you like it)*
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup noGreekgreek yogurt*
For the spicy tortilla strips
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the Soup
- Place all ingredients for the soun (minus the Greek yogurt) in your crockpot. Turn to high and let cook for 3-4 hours or turn to low and let cook for 6-8 hours.
- Once your chicken is fully cooked, remove and shred. Then, place back in crock-pot.
- Add Greek yogurt and mix until combined.
For the spicy tortilla strips
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Then, thinly slice tortillas to create your strips and place on baking sheet. Drizzle on olive oil and toss.
- Then sprinkle on spices and toss again.
- Bake tortilla strips at 400ºF for 5 minutes. Toss and then put back in for 5-10 more minutes until golden brown.
- *Option to sub your hot sauce for white vinegar if you do not like spicy.
- *To make this recipe dairy free, omit the Greek yogurt.
- Serving Size: 1/8th recipe (~1.5 cups)
- Calories: 324
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 683
- Fat: 6
- Carbohydrates: 40
- Fiber: 9
- Protein: 27
Slow Cooker Sausage Kale Soup from Eating Bird Food
Come home to a warm and comforting meal with this slow cooker sausage kale soup! It’s packed with flavor and a breeze to whip up.
Thai Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup from Food Faith Fitness
This crock pot chicken noodle soup has a Thai spin! It uses butternut squash noodles to keep it gluten free, paleo friendly and under 300 calories and 3 SmartPoints! A low-carb option is included!
Paleo Creamy Broccoli Soup from Running to the Kitchen
This easy creamy broccoli soup is rich, comforting and topped with crispy shallots. It’s also paleo, gluten free, vegetarian and vegan!
Green Chile Vegetable Soup from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen
This Green Chile Vegetable Soup is light, flavorful, and packed with hearty veggies! It’s the perfect meatless soup to keep you warm all season long! Customize this soup with your favorite veggies, beans, and/or gluten-free pasta, too!
Curried Cauliflower Rice Kale Soup from Cotter Crunch
This Curried Cauliflower Rice Kale Soup is one flavorful and healthy soup to keep you warm this season. An easy soup recipe for a nutritious meal-in-a-bowl. Paleo, vegan, and Whole30 friendly!