Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie Soup that packs all the creaminess you love from a traditional chicken pot pie without all those fillers. This chicken pot pie soup recipe is packed with veggies and made creamy with a homemade healthy roux.
Like they say, all good things must come to an end, and today we’re saying our final goodbyes to Slow Cooker Week. But not before we leave you with the best chicken pot pie soup recipe you ever did see. Seriously, this crock pot chicken pot pie soup is deliciously creamy, and packed with chicken and hearty veggies. And when served with a flakey biscuit, tastes just like the real deal.
And not only does this soup taste oh so delicious, it’s very easy to whip up. Let’s get into it:
How To Make a Roux for Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie Soup
We promise this roux is easy to whip up and add to your slow cooker chicken pot pie soup for that perfect creamy texture and flavor. Plus, it’s a simple butter and flour mixture, so you won’t need any crazy ingredients that you probably don’t already have on hand.
Step 1: With 1 hour remaining in your cook time, it’s time to start making your roux. In a small saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium/high heat.
Step 2: Lower heat to medium heat and add 1/2 cup flour to butter. If you prefer a whiter cream color in this soup, use bleached white flour, but if you don’t mind a bit of a wheat color, white whole wheat flour works great as well. Mix your butter and flour with a whisk until the mixture turns into a crumble. Then remove from heat.
Step 3: Add your crumbly roux mixture to the slow cooker and whisk soup until butter and flour mixture dissolves and you start to see the creamy color throughout your soup.
Step 4: Place the cover on your slow cooker, and turn to high if it’s not already on high. Let cook for an additional 1 hour to allow your broth to thicken before serving.
See! We promised this would be an easy roux 😀
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup Veggies
Just like the roux in this recipe, prepping your veggies is just as quick and easy. We used 2 large russet potatoes cut into 1/2 in. chunks as well as a diced yellow onion, but that’s the only veggie prepping and chopping we did for this slow cooker chicken pot pie soup. For the remainder of the veggies, we picked up a 20 oz. frozen vegetable mix from the freezer section at the grocery store. The variety we used had chopped carrots, green beans, peas and red peppers, but feel free to use whatever variety you have available to you at your grocery store! Easy as that.
Storing Chicken Pot Pie Soup
This recipe is ideal for meal prep if you’re not serving a crowd right when you make it. We love to store soups like this right in the slow cooker, or if you’d like to portion out for future meals on the go, these glass Pyrex containers are perfect. This soup will keep in the refrigerator for 3-5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Other Soup Recipes on Fit Foodie Finds
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup with Kale
- 20 Healthy Soup Recipes
- Tuscan Turkey Soup
- Loaded Cauliflower Potato Soup
- Spicy Coconut Thai Curry Soup
- Taco Soup
- 20 Minute Healthy Tomato Bisque Soup
- Instant Pot Hamburger Soup
- 30 Minute Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
- Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Soup
- Vegetable Minestrone Soup
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 20 oz. frozen vegetable mix
- 1/2 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 large russet potato, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat or white flour
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Place everything for your chicken pot pie soup into the slow cooker. Mix well and make sure chicken is submerged in liquid.
- Cover your slow cooker and cook on high for 2-4 hours OR on low for 6-8 hours.
- With 1 hour remaining in your cook time, start making your roux*.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium/high heat.
- Lower heat to medium heat and add flour to butter. Mix with a whisk until mixture turns into a crumble. Remove from heat.
- Add roux to the slow cooker and whisk soup until butter and flour mixture dissolves.
- Place cover on slow cooker, turn to high if it’s not already on high, and let cook for an additional 1 hour to allow broth to thicken.
- Once chicken is fully cooked, remove from slow cooker and cut into bite-sized chunks. Add chicken back to the slow cooker and mix.
- Finally, add heavy cream to soup, mix, and serve!