Need a hot soup that warms the soul and is the perfect remedy when under the weather? Make our Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup!
This slow cooker soup is one of our favorite recipes. If you are looking for more healthy soup recipes check out our Tuscan turkey soup, our crock pot chicken tortilla soup, or this crock pot chicken quinoa enchilada soup!
Must Make #1 Recipe
If there is one thing you should know how to do before you move away to college is to learn how to make chicken noodle soup!
I’m kicking myself that I didn’t learn how to make this scrumptious soup because I can’t tell you the number of times I was under the weather and just wanted chicken soup!
We’re here to save the day with this super simple slow cooker chicken noodle soup recipe. What do you mean by simple? Well, let me explain!
Minimal Ingredients: This recipe calls for minimal, wholesome ingredients that you probably already have on hand! You’ll need a base of: chicken breast, chicken broth, carrots, celery, onion, and loads of spices and fresh herbs.
Simple Flavors: Don’t underestimate the power of brothy soup! This crock pot chicken noodle soup is flavored with Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, pepper, and tons of fresh herbs. It’s the perfect hot soup to warm the soul and cure the sick 😀
Easy to Follow: It doesn’t get much easier than the slow cooker people. I love this slow cooker chicken noodle soup recipe mostly because you throw everything in the crock pot, turn it on, and BAM, you’ve got your soup ready in anywhere from 4-8 hours depending on what setting you use!
Chicken Noodle Soup Tips + Tricks
What can I add to my chicken noodle soup to add more flavor? You can add many different things to chicken noodle soup to give it more flavor. Check out some fun and different options below:
- Tie extra herbs in with the herb bundle from this recipe! Sage would be a great addition to this chicken noodle soup recipe!
- Add a couple of extra garlic cloves to the broth!
- A teaspoon or two extra of garlic powder or Italian seasoning.
- A roux – to make it creamy! Check out our Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup recipe for some inspo!
Is there a difference between stock and broth? Generally, stock is made with bones and broth is made with meat and/or vegetables! Stock tends to be a bit thicker and the broth is lighter and more flavorful.
Though some recipes call for specifically broth or stock, if you are out of one, feel free to use the other as a substitute in recipes!
Can I use any type of noodle in chicken noodle soup? Absolutely, you can use any noodle you would like in chicken noodle soup. We use egg noodles because we love the texture and it is what is traditionally used in chicken noodle soup.
The key (no matter what noodle you use) if you are planning to meal prep this slow cooker chicken noodle soup, keep the soup and the noodles separate until serving. This will prevent mushy noodles.
Can I add more vegetables to my chicken noodle soup? Of course, you can add more vegetables to your chicken noodle soup! I would stick to heartier root vegetables since they will be cooking in a slow cooker. Just make sure whatever vegetables you use are diced the same size as the carrots and celery.
Some other great vegetable options would be:
- Idaho potatoes
- Sweet potatoes
- Cauliflower (cut into bigger chunks)
- Frozen Vegetables
How do you cream chicken noodle soup? You can cream the slow cooker chicken noodle soup by adding a 1/4-1/2 cup of heavy cream or greek yoga after the soup is done cooking. Cover the slow cooker and cook for an additional 15 minutes until soup is hot!
Check out our Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe for a similar recipe!
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Stoup
Step 1: Chop Veggies
Like I mentioned above, this slow cooker chicken noodle soup recipe calls for a handful of very mild vegetables. That’s why this soup is great for curing the common cold or flu!
When cutting your celery, carrots, and onions, make sure to cut them all relatively the same size. I call this size: finely chopped. It’s small enough to get multiple pieces of veggies in the same spoonful!
Optional veggie add-ins: If you’re looking to explore more vegetables, are a few we recommend trying out –> potatoes, sweet potatoes, a bag of frozen veggies, or green beans.
Step 2: Add, Pour, and Mix Ingredients
Once you’ve cut your veggies, it’s time to transfer everything into the slow cooker! Add your veggies, full (uncooked) chicken breasts, spices, and herbs to the slow cooker and pour in your broth. Then, give your soup a good stir.
Step 3: Cover, Set It, and Forget It
Now, the easy part. You simply cover your slow cooker, set it, and forget it! We’re giving you two cook-time options in this recipe. One is on high and one is on low.
- High: turn your slow cooker to high and cook for 3-4 hours or until your chicken is fully cooked.
- Low: turn your slow cooker to low and cook for 6-8 hours or until your chicken is fully cooked. PS: this is the recommended method to get more tender chicken.
Step 4: Cube Chicken, Add Noodles, and Cover
Now that your chicken is fully cooked, it’s time to remove your chicken breasts and cube it!
Make sure that you cut your chicken into small enough pieces (just like your veggies) so that you can get a piece of chicken in every bite! Once diced, add the chicken cubes back into your slow cooker.
Now, for the fun part…it’s time to cook your noodles! Add 3 cups of egg noodles to your slow cooker and mix with the hot broth (and the rest of the soup).
Then, cover and let cook for 10ish minutes or until your noodles are cooked! Please do note that we’ve only tried this recipe with egg noodles, so if you use something else, just do your research!
Step 5: Serve Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Hot
Ain’t nobody like cold soup. So? Make sure that you serve your chicken noodle soup immediately! We recommend adding some fresh parsley on top and maybe even a zinger of hot sauce.
Creamy Option–> Feel free to add 1/4-1/2 cup of heavy cream or greek yogurt to the crock pot after the cook time is over. Cover slow cooker and heat the soup until hot!
More Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
Looking for more soup recipes? Here are some of our favorite Fit Foodie Finds slow cooker soup recipes!
- 4 medium carrots, diced (1.5 cups)
- 4 large celery stalks, diced (1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (2 heaping tablespoons)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons coarse Italian tuscan seasoning*
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 6 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 tablespoon Franks hot sauce (or white vinegar)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups egg noodles*
- optional: fresh parsley for topping
- Begin by creating an herb bundle by tying a piece of string around your fresh thyme and rosemary.
- Then, place all raw ingredients (minus the egg noodles) inside of your crockpot and stir. Make sure your chicken breasts are fully submerged in liquid.
- Set crockpot to high and cook for 3-4 hours OR low and cook for 6-8 hours.
- Once your chicken is tender and fully cooked, remove and slice into small chunks. Put back into soup and mix.
- Add 3 cups of egg noodles to the slow cooker and mix again. Place the top back on your slow cooker and let sit for 10 minutes in order to cook the noodles.
- Serve with a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
Tips & Notes
- *We use coarse Italian seasoning, which is an amazing spice blend. If you do not have a coarse Italian seasoning, we recommend using 2 teaspoons normal Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic, 1 teaspoon dried minced onion, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, and 1 teaspoon dried red and green pepper.
- For this recipe, we used egg noodles. If you use a different kind of noodle, the cook time at the end will vary.
- Nutrition is for 6 servings.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 330 Sugar: 9 Fat: 8 Carbohydrates: 32 Fiber: 2 Protein: 34
Keywords: slow cooker chicken noodle soup