Do you need a boost of vitamins or minerals? This blueberry spinach smoothie is packed with vitamin-c to help boost your immune system and keep your body feelin’ good!
Serious Immunity Boosting Blueberry Smoothie
Say “I” if you’ve had the sniffles at least once this winter or if you have crazy allergies. ME ME MEEEE! I’ve actually been really lucky in the sick department (knock on wood) and have only really had one minor cold. I hope I didn’t just jinx myself. I like to credit my active lifestyle and the fact that I’ve been eating copious amounts of vitamin c. It’s really not hard to do, especially if you throw everything in a smoothie like this one. Slerp.
There are a handful of things you can do to boost your immune system when you are starting to feel a cold coming on!
- Relax Stress can take a toll on your body. If you can feel a cold coming on, do everything you can to reduce your stress. Take a yoga class, delegate at work, and grab a book!
- Sleep Giving your body time to rest and heal is one of the best things you can do if you feel a cold coming on. If you can, increase the amount of sleep you get and make sure it’s quality sleep!
- Don’t Smoke Smoking isn’t the best for your help in general, but if you are around tobacco smoke, it really slows down your immune system.
- Feed Your Body Get veggies, fruits, ginger, and water in your body immediately! Your body needs fuel when it’s down for the count.
A Sniffle-Stopping Smoothie
I can’t help you get more sleep or stress less, but I can help you feed your body when you’re sick! Like I said above, one of the best ways you can prevent or cure a cold is to eat as many immune-boosting foods as possible. We’re talking…
- Citrus is packed with vitamin C which is an immune-boosting vitamin!
- Berries are known to be a great immune boosting fruit because they are rich in vitamin C and flavanols (which are full of antioxidants).
- Leafy greens are packed with magnesium, folate, iron, and calcium. All great vitamins and minerals to help you knock that cold to the curb!
- Ginger not only cleans out your adenoids because of its spiciness, but it also has a chemical called sesquiterpenes which can help fight the flu!
Thus- I threw everything in my blender and whirled away. A smoothie isn’t a smoothie without some Greek yogurt to smooth things out (and add protein!) and a frozen banana for good measure. No added sugar is necessary (ever). Plain Greek yogurt is definitely my favorite flavor to add to smoothies.
Talk about a party in your mouth. Seriously, this smoothie is on point. That citrus, though. In general, this smoothie is a great healthy snack and an easy way to get a serving of fruit AND vegetables in. We all know we could use a little more of those in our lives.
- 1 large banana
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 cups packed spinach
- 1 cup 100% orange juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2–3 cups of ice
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and mix until smooth.