Wow your guests with this beautiful and delicious Mexican Juicy Lucy Recipe! They are made with lean beef and stuffed with cheddar cheese then topped with a homemade fire-roasted corn pico for a healthy, nutritious dinner on the grill.
Looking for more grilling recipes? We’ve got you covered! Check out all of our grilling recipes here. We are loving our grilled chicken legs and this Mexican Street Corn Salad makes a great side dish for any grilling recipe!
Colorful Meals are the Healthiest Meals
Want to know what I love about healthy food? ALLTHECOLORS
Really though, if you just strive to eat as many colors as you can (and I’m not talking about Skittles or fruity Mentos), you’re probably in the clear of getting all of your fruit and veggie servings. Insert the most colorful meal of them all — Mexican Style Juicy Lucy Recipe with Fire-Roasted Corn Pico!
Juicy Lucy LOVE
So these burgers. What I love about this recipe in particular is that it’s very Midwestern with a fresh Mexican flare. If you’ve never had or heard of a Juicy Lucy then I feel bad for you. I kid, I kid.
The Juicy Lucy was actually invented in South Minneapolis (Matts Bar and Bar 508 both claim to have invented the Juicy Luch) and it’s essentially a burger that’s stuffed with cheese in the middle instead of on top. Genius, right? So we decided to take a Fit Foodie spin on this Minnesota classic for a protein and veggie packed burger all in one!
Mexican Juicy Lucy Ingredients
There are hundreds of cheeses out there, which made it a very difficult decision when it came to the stuffing. All said and done, you can’t go wrong with cheddar. You want to make sure you also use a cheese that MELTS. There is nothing worse than biting into a Juicy Lucy to find a hard cheesy turd.
That’s what we chose to stuff these burgers with, but you can really choose any cheese you like. If you’re wondering what makes the burger itself Mexican…
- green chiles
- chili powder
Of course, the avocado and fire-roasted corn pico helps with those Mexican flavors, too!
Tips + Tricks for Juicy Lucy Burgers
Meat. 1/3 lb. patties. So if you’re needing to serve 4 or 6 people, just double the recipe and you’re good to go.
How to make a juicy lucy. Juicy Lucy burgers are easy to make once you master the pinch. What’s the pinch? It’s what you do to seal the burger meat around the cheese so you don’t have a cheesy mess on your hands.
Take a 1/3 pound patty and rip it in half. Flatten each half with your hands and place a thin square of cheese in the middle of one patty. Place the other half patty onto the cheese and pinch the edges of each patty together to contain the cheese within the burger.
The Cheese is HOT. After taking the Juicy Lucy burgers off the grill we’re hungry, right? But do NOT take a bit of the burger right away. The cheese is molten lava inside that burger patty. Let burgers sit for 5-10 minutes before taking a bite!
Toppings. The fire roasted pico de gallo and the fresh avocado really make this Mexican Juicy recipe amazing! Feel free to add whatever toppings you’d like if pico isn’t your thing, but we highly recommend making it!
Healthy Burger Recipes
Mexican Style Juicy Lucy Recipe
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 oz. canned diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 oz. cheddar cheese cut into 3 cubes
Fire-Roasted Corn Pico
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes diced
- 1/2 red onion finely diced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño finely diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic minced
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro finely diced
For the Burgers
- 3 whole wheat or sprouted-grain buns
- 1 avocado sliced
- ketchup optional
- First, preheat the grill to 425ºF.
- Place all ingredients for the patties (except for the cheese) into a large bowl. Mix well.
- Separate the beef mixture evenly into three balls. Then, split each ball into two burger patties (about 1/4 - 1/2 of an inch think).
- Form your Juicy Lucy by using your fingers to make a small indention in the middle of one of the burger patties. Place one cube of cheese into the indent and place another burger patty over the top. Secure the cheese inside of both patties by pinching patties together. Make sure there are no holes for the cheese to escape from. Repeat two more times.
- Place a piece of tin foil onto the grill and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Grill burgers for about 5 minutes on each side (or longer for a more well-done burger).
- Remove from grill and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
Fire-Roasted Corn Pico
- First, preheat grill to 425ºF. Then, prepare rub by mixing together olive oil, chili powder, cumin, and salt.
- Remove husks from corn and wash under cold water. Pat dry. Then, place the corn on top of a piece of tin foil and rub with the olive oil mixture. Seal tin foil, creating a foil pack. Place on grill.
- Grill for around 20 minutes. Flip half way through.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and then use a sharp knife and cut kernels off of the cob.
- Place corn in a medium bowl and then add the rest of the ingredients. Mix.
For the Burgers
- Serve on a whole wheat bun with avocado slices and fire-roasted corn salsa.
Wow! Just wow! I am a plain Jane when it comes to burgers, but when I saw this recipe, I knew we – my hubby and I – had to try it. He made them and let me tell you, my mind was blown. They were so tasty and exceeded my expectations!
I surprised my bf with everything to make juicy Lucy’s last night. We enjoyed these so much! The fire roasted corn pico is out of this world ! We want to make some just to keep in our fridge. I think next time I won’t put the corn in foil, only because I wanted it to be a little charred and grilled. I added sriracha to my toppings with a little ketchup and mustard. YUM! Will definitely make again!!
Drool. Drool everywhere. This looks absolutely UNREAL! Need to try!!!
This one is my favorite dish. So spice and delicious. I just made it at home with my mom & enjoy. I am following you and another website for recipes and cooking.
Lat night I make recipe its taste so delicious.
Sharing a link with you ( https://www.sooperchef.pk ).
Videos of recipes and cooking also available on this website see it.
That gooey cheese in the middle – YUM! And the fire-roasted corn pico sounds delish!
Yumm! Your recipe looks so delicious! I love the mix of ingredients, I bet it tastes even better than it looks. Thank you for sharing the recipe!