How to make shrimp scampi you ask? It’s easy! This Asparagus Shrimp Scampi recipe will absolutely blow your mind because it’s made with tons of veggies, fresh shrimp, and a delicious olive oil butter sauce with a splash of lemon.
We eat pasta at least once a week at my house. It’s just one of those meals that Mark and I both love, so why not eat it ALL THE TIME? For the last few weeks (like 4), I’ve been making a delicious buttery shrimp scampi recipe with seasonal spring veggies. Think asparagus, cherry tomatoes, onion, and peas! The beauty of this shrimp scampi recipe is that you can really use any veggies you have on hand, which is why I think I’ve made this 4 weeks in a row. I always have some kind of dry pasta, I always have butter, and I always have random veggies in the fridge.
Shrimp is something I’ve been eating more of because it’s just convenient and so tasty (oh, and super high protein!). I like to buy frozen shrimp from the grocery store because then I have it on hand for whenever I need it. It especially comes in handy when I’m about to travel and I have nothing in my fridge. Guess what? I always have shrimp, butter, olive oil, and dry pasta…the basis of this recipe!
Don’t Be Afraid!
Friends, don’t be afraid of scampi pasta…or pasta in general. I am all about food freedom because I lived so long not allowing myself to eat certain foods. White pasta being one of them. If I’m going to eat pasta, it’s going to be the real deal because damn is it tasty and I deserve it!
How to Make Shrimp Scampi
Let’s talk about how to make shrimp scampi. This meal cooks in under 30 minutes and there are just a few steps:
- Step 1: Noodles (any kind will work!)
- Step 2: Sautee veggies
- Step 3: Sauce
- Step 4: Mix it all!
The best part about this recipe is that it serves 6 so it’s likely that you’re going to have some leftovers. If you’re a vegetarian or vegan, no fear! Just omit the shrimp and swap the butter for more olive oil! It’s as easy as that. You can also swap in some gluten-free noodles in case you’re gluten sensitive! So many options here ladies and gents. As always you have the option to double this recipe if you’re serving a crowd, too!
Asparagus Shrimp Scampi Recipe
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 2 cups asparagus chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 8 oz. spaghetti pasta any kind!
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 tablespoons butter
- juice of one lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups of thawed precooked jumbo shrimp
- zest of one lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan*
- Begin by heating a large saute pan over medium/high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- When olive oil is fragrant add onion and saute for 2-3 minutes. Then add in asparagus, tomatoes and garlic. Saute veggies until onion is translucent and asparagus is cooked, but not mushy. About 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer vegetables in to a separate bowl.
- Next, bring 4 quarts a water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until pasta is al dente, 7-11 minutes. When pasta is almost done, add frozen peas to the boiling water and let boil for an additional minute.
- Strain pasta and peas in a colander and set aside.
- Finally, heat butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in the same saute pan as before. When olive oil is fragrant, add shrimp. Season with salt and pepper and lemon juice. Cook for one minute and add the rest of the vegetables to the pan. Mix the shrimp and veggies together, cooking for an additional 3-5 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and toss the pasta and peas with the vegetables and shrimp. Add lemon zest, fresh basil, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper (if needed).
Tips & Notes
- Parmesan is not included in nutrition information