Make our flourless almond butter chocolate chip cookie bars for a delicious treat made with wholesome ingredients!
Ooey-Gooey Flourless Cookie Bars Recipe
If there is one cookie bar recipe that I’ve made time and time again, it’s these almond butter cookie bars.
They are grain-free and refined sugar-free, making them a great nutritious dessert to share or freeze for later.
They’re made from the basis of drippy almond butter, but I’ve made an oatmeal peanut butter variation before and they are equally as good!
What You Need
You only need a few staple ingredients to whip up a batch of these bars.
- almond butter: make sure to buy an all-natural, drippy almond butter so that there is enough fat in these bars. Our favorite is the 365 brand.
- coconut sugar: coconut sugar is an all-natural sweetener and is slightly less sweet than brown sugar. Brown sugar works too!
- coconut flour: coconut flour is actually not a flour, but it does act like one!
- eggs: you need 2 large eggs for these cookie bars.
- dark chocolate chips: we love dark chocolate chips because they’re slightly less sweet. However, semi-sweet and milk chocolate work too!
- vanilla extract: vanilla extract brings out the wonderful flavor of the almond butter,
Make sure almond butter is drippy: our #1 tip is to use drippy almond butter…the kind that needs to be stirred. This is to make sure there is enough oil/fat in the bars.
Don’t overbake: whatever you do, don’t overbake them. I personally like them slightly underbaked so they come out gooey.
Let cool before slicing: these bars need to set before slicing or they will have a hard time holding together. Make sure they cool completely before slicing.
Let bars cool completely. Then, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
How to Freeze Them
I prefer to store these bars in the freezer so that they last the longest.
- Place sliced bars on a cookie sheet.
- Freeze them for 1 hour.
- Transfer bars into an airtight container or gallon-size bag and freeze them for up to 3 months.
Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- First, preheat your oven to 350ºF and spray a 8×8-inch cake pan with coconut oil cooking spray. Or, line with a piece of parchment paper.
- Add the wet ingredients into a large bowl and mix until combined. Add dry ingredients into a medium bowl and mix until combined.
- Add dry ingredients into wet and mix until combined. Your batter should have a cookie dough consistency.
- Transfer the dough into the greased baking dish and use your fingers or a spatula to evenly press it into the pan. Feel free to press more dark chocolate chips into the top of your bars.
- Bake cookie bars at 350ºF for 12-15 minutes or until fully cooked in the center.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing. Serve with a sprinkle of sea salt.
Tips & Notes
- A 9×9-inch or 6×10-inch pan would work too. The cook-time would vary.
- Make sure to let the bars cool for 30 minutes before slicing so that they can firm up.
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Ashley McGlaughlin from The Edible Perspective.