These ground chicken bowls are made with spicy ground chicken, a crisp coleslaw, and white rice. They are the perfect meal for meal-prep and a high protein dinner.
Love ground chicken recipes? Try this ground chicken bolognese or ground chicken burgers.
Spicy Ground Chicken Bowls
Who doesn’t love an easy weeknight meal? Ground chicken recipes are great recipes to keep in your back pocket when you are looking for a high protein and delicious meal. These ground chicken bowls are one of our go-to chicken meals.
why you’ll love this recipe
- They are made with a delicious and spicy gochujang sauce.
- These ground chicken bowls are a well balanced with veggies and protein.
- Great for meal prep.
- Easy left overs!
Below is a list of featured ingredients for this recipe, not the whole list, so be sure to scroll all the way down to the recipe card for a full list of ingredients.
- Ground chicken: the hero of this recipe is the ground chicken. Our favorite ground chicken is from the coop because it has no fillers and is made with dark meat, but any ground chicken will do.
- Long grain white rice: feel free to use whatever kind of rice you like.
- Gochujang: gochujang is a fermented red chili paste that is commonly used in Korean cooking.
- Cabbage: the cruch and freshness of the cabbage balances out the spiciness of the gochujang sauce.
- Cilantro: the freshness that cilantro adds to these bowls is unbeatable.
- Sesame oil: we recommend using sesame oil over any other type of oil. Sesame oil has a distinct flavor and taste.
- Ground chicken–> ground turkey
- Red cabbage–> green cabbage
- Green bell pepper –> any color bell pepper
- Gochujang –> sriracha
How to Make Ground Chicken Bowls
Make sure to scroll all the way down to the recipe card to get the full ingredient list and written recipe.
- Prepare the rice first so that it is ready to go when your slaw and chicken are ready. It is the step in the recipe that take the longest.
- Add all of the ingredients for the coleslaw to a bowl and toss. Place it in the refrigerator to allow all of the veggies to soak in the sauce.
- Before cooking up the ground chicken recipe, make the sauce. Add the gochujang, rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey, fish sauce, tomato paste, and avocado oil to a bowl and whisk the ingredients together.
- Brown the chicken in a skillet until partially cooked and then add the sauce to the pan. Mix and bring to a boil until the sauce thickens.
- Add the chicken, rice and coleslaw to 4-6 separate bowls and serve with green onions and sesame seeds.
Ground chicken goes from pink to white or golden brown in color. The liquid from the chicken will also run clear rather than pink or red.
You can use less gochujang sauce and more tomato paste to make this recipe less spicy. Adding a little extra honey helps, too.
Yes, you can use ground turkey, ground beef, ground pork, or even a plant based ground.
Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
Broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken breast never tasted better! Our super flavorful chicken dry rub and easy broccoli and cheese filling make these stuffed chicken breasts deliciously flavor and protein packed.
Store the chicken, coleslaw, and rice all separate in separate airtight containers for up to 5 days.
Spicy Gochujang Ground Chicken Bowl Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 large green bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 8 green onions sliced (white part only)
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup gochujang
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 lbs. ground chicken
- 8 green onions chopped (green part only)
- Bring a pot of 4 cups of salted water to a boil. Add the rice and bring to a gentle boil. Turn the heat to low and cover the rice. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the water has been absorbed.
- When the rice is done, immediately remove the heat and fluff the rice with a fork. Set aside for later.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the coleslaw. Add the green pepper, cabbage, the white part of the green onion, sesame seeds, and cilantro to a salad bowl and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl add the rice vinegar, sesame oil, lime juice, honey, and salt to a bowl and whisk all of the ingredients together. Pour the mixture over the coleslaw vegetables and toss until all of the vegetables are covered in dressing. Place the coleslaw in the refrigerator.
- Now, make the gochujang chicken. Add the gochujang, rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey, fish sauce, and tomato paste to a bowl and whisk to combine. Make sure all of the honey is mixed in and not stuck to the bottom of the bowl. Set aside.
- Heat avocado oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat. When the olive oil is fragrant add the ground chicken to the skillet and cook the chicken until fully cooked. If there is a ton of excess liquid in the skillet (some chicken has more moisture) strain the chicken and transfer it back to the skillet.
- Pour the gochujang sauce over the ground chicken and mix until the sauce has coated the chicken. Heat the skillet over medium heat and bring the chicken and the sauce to a gentle simmer. Let the mixture cook for 5-10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat and top with sesame seeds and green onions.
- Add cooked rice, coleslaw, and the firecracker chicken to bowls and enjoy.
Tips & Notes
- This recipe uses 8 green onions in total. The white part is used in the slaw and the green part is used as a garnish for the chicken.
- If this sauce for the chicken is too spicy, add more honey.
- If you would like a saucier firecracker chicken, double the sauce.
Sound amazing! I love that. I tried it last night Amazing taste ! I love these recipies and I think you and your team are an inspiration to us all , and to the get fit comunity I have found this as well , tell me what you think . Its helped me in combination with your Recipes https://bit.ly/BWBCAlpilean2023
This was very easy to make. I will definitely double the slaw recipe next time because I can use it to meal prep with other lunches.
Sound amazing! I love that it’s a quick and healthy meal option packs a flavorful punch. I can’t wait to try and add it to my meal prep rotation. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe!
Such a good meal prep recipe!