Ready in under and hour, the whole family will love this dinner recipe for broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken breast. Seared then baked, each stuffed chicken breast stays moist on the inside with a nice crisp on the outside.
If you’re in a dinner rut, mix things up with this protein-packed stuffed chicken breast recipe. Each breast is coated with a dry rub, filled with a creamy and cheesy broccoli filling, and cooked to golden perfection.
Whenever we make our stuffed chicken (or stuffed pork chop) recipes, we’re always in awe of how simple they are to make yet how fancy they look. Stuffed chicken breasts are impressive enough for a celebratory meal and simple enough for a weeknight dinner. No matter the occasion, these chicken breasts are packed with flavor and cheesy goodness everyone enjoys!
“Absolutely delicious! Made it for my mother-in-laws birthday and everybody loved it 🙂 Thanks for making me look like a professional chef!” – Catherine
What You Need for Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
There are 2 parts to this stuffed chicken breast recipe – the chicken and the filling. Here’s what you need for each:
Chicken & Dry Rub
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (this recipe makes 4)
- Dry rub spices including garlic powder, chili powder, dried thyme, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper
- Olive oil (or avocado oil)
Broccoli & cheese stuffing
- We like to use shredded cheddar cheese, but feel free to use shredded Colby jack, white cheddar, or even a Mexican blend
- Any percentage of plain Greek yogurt
- Full-fat cream cheese for the best flavor and texture
- Freshly minced or jarred garlic
- Fresh (not frozen!) chopped broccoli florets
Become a Pro at Cooking Chicken!
We’ll teach you everything you need to know on how to cook chicken perfectly every time + we’ll share our top chicken recipes when you subscribe to our emails today!
Dry Rub: Feel free to replace all of the dry rub spices with 2 tablespoons of chicken seasoning. It’s our-go to for most of our chicken recipes!
How do you prepare the chicken breasts for stuffing?
Cut each chicken breast in half lengthwise, leaving the chicken breast connected on one side to create a flap. Make sure to sprinkle the spice rub on all sides of the chicken breast, including in the flap.
Can you make stuffed chicken breasts ahead of time?
Definitely! Follow the recipe through step 8. Cover and refrigerate the stuffed raw chicken breasts for up to 8 hours. When ready to serve, continue with the recipe as written.
How do you know when the stuffed chicken breast is cooked?
These stuffed chicken breasts are cooked through when the internal temperature of the chicken is 165ºF. Use a meat thermometer to make sure the internal temperature is 165ºF.
Is stuffed chicken breast healthy?
Yes, this is a healthy stuffed chicken breast recipe and a great healthy dinner option! This stuffed chicken has 49 grams of protein per chicken breast and a serving of veggies stuffed right into the chicken.
Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipes
Stuffed Pork Chops
These stuffed pork chops are crunchy on the outside and packed with cheesy mushroom goodness on the inside making these the ultimate weeknight meal.
Let the chicken breast cool completely, place in an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Once the chicken breasts are baked, let them cool completely before tightly wrapping each breast in plastic wrap and a layer of foil. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat: Preheat the oven to 325ºF, unwrap the chicken breasts, and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until warm throughout.
Make stuffed chicken breast a complete meal with:
- Mashed potatoes
- Roasted asparagus or roasted Brussels sprouts
- Grilled corn or grilled carrots
- Superfood salad
- Strawberry quinoa salad
- Rice (white rice, brown rice, or cauliflower rice)
Email Me this Recipe
Share your email, and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus, enjoy weekly doses of recipe inspiration as a bonus!
"*" indicates required fields
Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup cream cheese softened
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 cups broccoli diced into bite-size pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Prepare the spice rub. Add the garlic powder, chili powder, dried thyme, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to a small bowl. Mix with a spoon and set aside.
- Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board and cut the chicken in half lengthwise with a sharp knife leaving the chicken breast connected, but creating a flap.
- Sprinkle the spice rub over the chicken breast on both sides, including in the flap.
- Add the cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt, cream cheese, and minced garlic into a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Next, add the diced broccoli to the Greek yogurt mixture and mix everything together until the broccoli is coated in the Greek yogurt sauce.
- Divide the broccoli mixture into fourths.
- Stuff a chicken breast with 1/4 of the broccoli mixture by placing it in between the flap. Secure the broccoli cheese filling by closing the flap and securing both edges of the chicken breast with 2-3 toothpicks or more until it holds together. Repeat with each chicken breast.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium/high heat. Add olive oil. When the olive oil is fragrant add the stuffed chicken breast to the pan. Sear for 2-3 minutes on each side to brown.
- Carefully place the cast iron skillet in the oven (be careful, the handle might be hot) and bake at 375ºF for 30 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken breast. Make sure it’s at least 165ºF before removing it from the oven. Let rest for at least 5 minutes before eating.
Tips & Notes
- Storage: Let the chicken breasts cool completely, place in an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- Freezing Instructions: Once the chicken breasts are baked, let them cool completely before tightly wrapping each breast in plastic wrap and a layer of foil. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Dry Rub: Feel free to replace all of the dry rub spices with 2 tablespoons of chicken seasoning. It’s our-go to for most of our chicken recipes!
- Filling Variations: Try cream cheese + caramelized onions, asparagus + parmesan cheese, our spinach stuffed chicken breast, or caprese stuffed chicken breast.