This Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe is an easy, healthy dinner that will wow your dinner guests.
With only a few ingredients and easy step-by-step instructions, you’ll have this baked stuffed chicken breast ready in under 60 minutes.
The Best Stuffed Chicken Breast
What is better then a golden chicken breast that is baked to perfection and oozing hot and delicious mozzarella cheese? Nothing! This stuffed chicken breast recipe is any easy recipe with big rewards!
We have so many chicken dinner recipes to choose from on Fit Foodie Finds and this stuffed chicken breast is one of our most popular recipes for a few different reasons.
- This baked stuffed chicken breast recipe really jazzes up a chicken breast with out making it too complicated!
- Who doesn’t love caprese? The mozzarella, fresh basil, and sun dried tomatoes in this recipe add flavor, texture, and CHEESE.
- This caprese stuffed chicken has a whopping 36 grams of protein per serving!
How to Make Stuffed Chicken Breast
There are only a few short steps to follow for this chicken breast recipe. Then you end up with a delicious and juicy stuffed chicken breast. Let’s break down each step.
Pound the Chicken
Before starting anything you have to make sure each chicken breast is pounded to the same thickness. You are going to need a few tools to be successful! Here are the tools you need.
To pound the chicken breast you set a chicken breast on a cutting board or a clean surface. From there, cover the chicken breast with plastic wrap or parchment paper (to keep the chicken juice from splattering everywhere!).
Use a meat tenderizer to pound the chicken breast to about 1/2-inch thickness. Be sure to pound the chicken breast evenly. Repeat until each chicken breast is pounded.
Stuff the Chicken
There are many options when it comes to what you stuff your chicken breasts with! the key is to make sure that you do not over stuff the chicken breasts. Here is what we stuffed our chicken breasts with.
- Mozzarella- The mozzarella in this chicken breast is fresh mozzarella NOT shredded. Buy the mozzarella that comes in a log or in slices. You are going to put about an ounce of mozzarella in the middle of each chicken breast.
- Fresh basil- You want to add a few leaves of fresh basil to the middle of each chicken breast.
- Sun dried tomatoes- Sun dried tomatoes come in a few different forms; dried and soaked in oil. Be sure to get the sun dried tomatoes in oil, they have the best flavor!
Become a Pro at Cooking Chicken!
We’ll teach you everything you need to know on how to cook chicken perfectly every time + we’ll share our top chicken recipes when you subscribe to our emails today!
Roll the Chicken
After each chicken has been stuffed, it’s time to roll them. Roll each chicken breast so that the ingredients in the middle of the chicken is tightly rolled and secured inside of the chicken.
Then, take two pieces of cooking twine and tie the chicken together so that it stays rolled.
Place the stuffed chicken on a greased baking sheet and season each chicken breast with salt and pepper and olive oil. Place the stuffed chicken into the oven and bake it for 30-40 minutes at 375ºF.
here’s a tip!
Do you want dinner to be quick and easy? Make this chicken dinner in advance a few hours before dinner if you have some down time. Store them in the fridge and pop them in the oven whenever you’re ready to eat.
Stuffed Chicken Breast 101
Can I stuff these chicken breasts with other ingredients?
Yes, you can stuff these chicken breasts many different things. Here are a couple other fun ideas!
- Cooked spinach + cheese
- Asparagus + parmesan cheese
- Cream cheese + caramelized onions
How do you know when stuffed chicken breast is cooked?
You know when stuffed chicken breast is cooked when the internal temperature of the chicken is 165ºF. Use a meat thermometer to make sure the internal temperature is 165ºF.
Is stuffed chicken breast healthy?
Yes, this is a healthy stuffed chicken breast recipe and a great healthy dinner option!
- This stuffed chicken has 36 grams of protein.
- You get a serving of vegetables that are stuffed in the chicken breast.
How do I store stuffed chicken breast?
Let the chicken breast cool completely before placing the chicken breast in an air tight container and place it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How do you freeze stuffed chicken breast?
You can freeze these stuffed chicken breasts after they are baked! Let them cool completely before wrapping them in plastic wrap, then tin foil, and then place them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat the stuffed chicken breast preheat the oven to 325ºF, unwrap the chicken breast and place it on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
What do I Serve with Stuffed Chicken?
- Golden Roasted Cauliflower and Quinoa Salad
- The Best Arugula Salad
- Quinoa Tabuli Salad
- Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad with Quinoa
- The Best Kale Salad Recipes
- Best Quinoa Salad Recipes
Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 16 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast (4 breasts)
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes jarred in olive oil (~1 oz)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze*
- First, preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Next, prepare chicken breasts by laying them flat on a cutting board. Then, using a meat tenderizer, pound until the chicken flattens out and is the same thickness all around, about 1/2-inch thick.
- Season both sides of chicken breast with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Then, place about 1 oz. of mozzarella cheese, a few basil leaves, and a tablespoon of sun-dried tomatoes in the center of your chicken breast.
- Roll chicken breast, packing it tightly and then secure 2 pieces of baker's twine.
- Place on baking sheet and drizzle each stuffed chicken breast with olive oil. Bake at 375ºF for about 30 - 40 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve with a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
Tips & Notes
- Balsamic glaze: this can either be a homemade balsamic reduction or store-bought balsamic glaze.