This Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe is an easy, healthy dinner that will wow your dinner guests.
With only a few ingredients and easy step-by-step instructions, you’ll have this baked stuffed chicken breast ready in under 60 minutes.
The Best Stuffed Chicken Breast
What is better then a golden chicken breast that is baked to perfection and oozing hot and delicious mozzarella cheese? Nothing! This stuffed chicken breast recipe is any easy recipe with big rewards!
We have so many chicken dinner recipes to choose from on Fit Foodie Finds and this stuffed chicken breast is one of our most popular recipes for a few different reasons.
- This baked stuffed chicken breast recipe really jazzes up a chicken breast with out making it too complicated!
- Who doesn’t love caprese? The mozzarella, fresh basil, and sun dried tomatoes in this recipe add flavor, texture, and CHEESE.
- This caprese stuffed chicken has a whopping 36 grams of protein per serving!
How to Make Stuffed Chicken Breast
There are only a few short steps to follow for this chicken breast recipe. Then you end up with a delicious and juicy stuffed chicken breast. Let’s break down each step.
Pound the Chicken
Before starting anything you have to make sure each chicken breast is pounded to the same thickness. You are going to need a few tools to be successful! Here are the tools you need.
To pound the chicken breast you set a chicken breast on a cutting board or a clean surface. From there, cover the chicken breast with plastic wrap or parchment paper (to keep the chicken juice from splattering everywhere!).
Use a meat tenderizer to pound the chicken breast to about 1/2-inch thickness. Be sure to pound the chicken breast evenly. Repeat until each chicken breast is pounded.
Stuff the Chicken
There are many options when it comes to what you stuff your chicken breasts with! the key is to make sure that you do not over stuff the chicken breasts. Here is what we stuffed our chicken breasts with.
- Mozzarella- The mozzarella in this chicken breast is fresh mozzarella NOT shredded. Buy the mozzarella that comes in a log or in slices. You are going to put about an ounce of mozzarella in the middle of each chicken breast.
- Fresh basil- You want to add a few leaves of fresh basil to the middle of each chicken breast.
- Sun dried tomatoes- Sun dried tomatoes come in a few different forms; dried and soaked in oil. Be sure to get the sun dried tomatoes in oil, they have the best flavor!
Roll the Chicken
After each chicken has been stuffed, it’s time to roll them. Roll each chicken breast so that the ingredients in the middle of the chicken is tightly rolled and secured inside of the chicken.
Then, take two pieces of cooking twine and tie the chicken together so that it stays rolled.
Place the stuffed chicken on a greased baking sheet and season each chicken breast with salt and pepper and olive oil. Place the stuffed chicken into the oven and bake it for 30-40 minutes at 375ºF.
here’s a tip!
Do you want dinner to be quick and easy? Make this chicken dinner in advance a few hours before dinner if you have some down time. Store them in the fridge and pop them in the oven whenever you’re ready to eat.
Stuffed Chicken Breast 101
Can I stuff these chicken breasts with other ingredients?
Yes, you can stuff these chicken breasts many different things. Here are a couple other fun ideas!
- Cooked spinach + cheese
- Asparagus + parmesan cheese
- Cream cheese + caramelized onions
How do you know when stuffed chicken breast is cooked?
You know when stuffed chicken breast is cooked when the internal temperature of the chicken is 165ºF. Use a meat thermometer to make sure the internal temperature is 165ºF.
Is stuffed chicken breast healthy?
Yes, this is a healthy stuffed chicken breast recipe and a great healthy dinner option!
- This stuffed chicken has 36 grams of protein.
- You get a serving of vegetables that are stuffed in the chicken breast.
How do I store stuffed chicken breast?
Let the chicken breast cool completely before placing the chicken breast in an air tight container and place it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How do you freeze stuffed chicken breast?
You can freeze these stuffed chicken breasts after they are baked! Let them cool completely before wrapping them in plastic wrap, then tin foil, and then place them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat the stuffed chicken breast preheat the oven to 325ºF, unwrap the chicken breast and place it on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
What do I Serve with Stuffed Chicken?
- Golden Roasted Cauliflower and Quinoa Salad
- The Best Arugula Salad
- Quinoa Tabuli Salad
- Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad with Quinoa
- The Best Kale Salad Recipes
- Best Quinoa Salad Recipes
Check out other sides and salads for more ideas on what to serve with this stuffed chicken.
Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 16 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast (4 breasts)
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes jarred in olive oil (~1 oz)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze*
- First, preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Next, prepare chicken breasts by laying them flat on a cutting board. Then, using a meat tenderizer, pound until the chicken flattens out and is the same thickness all around, about 1/2-inch thick.
- Season both sides of chicken breast with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Then, place about 1 oz. of mozzarella cheese, a few basil leaves, and a tablespoon of sun-dried tomatoes in the center of your chicken breast.
- Roll chicken breast, packing it tightly and then secure 2 pieces of baker's twine.
- Place on baking sheet and drizzle each stuffed chicken breast with olive oil. Bake at 375ºF for about 30 - 40 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve with a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
Tips & Notes
- Balsamic glaze: this can either be a homemade balsamic reduction or store-bought balsamic glaze.
Great recipe, very yummy! Any suggestions for other ways to use the left over Miso paste? Marinade? Make into another type of sauce? Ideas??? It’s too good to not use up.
We loved the Caprese version! We also tried doing cream cheese and carmelized onion and loved it, so now we’re going to stuff chicken breast all the time! Thanks for the awesome idea! Such a great way to make a healthy but boring chicken breast more exciting 🙂
Three cheers for never having boring chicken breast again!
All of these sound good, but i really want to try the cherry, cherry dessert. i have never made a dessert in the crockpot before.
Easy to assemble and make ahead of time. Was able to just pop them in the oven when guest arrived and didn’t have to spend time cooking while guest were here. It was delicious and had a beautiful presentation!
Looks delicious! Can you use fresh tomatoes instead of sun dried? I have tons in my garden,
Hey Bria! I am sure you can, but just be careful because fresh tomatoes have a lot of moisture in them!
My favorite meal to make on my keto diet!! Absolutely delish!!! Thanks!
What is the amount of Saturated Fat in this recipe? Trying to plug it in to Weight Watchers.
Hi there! I know this recipe is from an old post, but I wanted to say I found it on Pinterest and made it tonight. Rave reviews all around! I had only spinach (no basil) but it still worked out well. I couldn’t think of how to prevent the cheese from melting and spilling out all over the place – turns out that’s what my boys liked best (the crunchy melted cheese)! I did not top with balsamic, just left it plain. I served with roasted veggies and a boxed noodle side dish. Very good! Thank you for the inspiration.
YES!!! We love how crunchy the cheese gets too 😀 Glad you guys loved it and that the spinach worked!
Would this freeze well?
Thanks! My fiancé is an amazing cook but me, not so much! I made this today for dinner so he didn’t have to cook. It was great! Easy enough for this inexperienced cook and tasty enough for his experienced taste buds! I added A super reduced balasmic on top since we use it for Caprese salad and it baked onto The chicken really well. This recipe is a keeper! Any idea for a balsamic Like sauce to go with it?
YAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! So glad you loved it. I would use an aged balsamic or balsamic reduction. If you can go to a specialty store and get aged balsamic, that’s what I would do. It’s like a thick sauce that’s a little sweet but would be PERFECT on this!
is that fresh mozzarella?
It sure is!
This looks SO good! I love that you paired it with zoodles too 🙂 Pinning.
For the chicken part of the recipe. It says canned roasted tomatoes but under instructions it says sundried tomatoes. Which is correct, canned roasted or sundried (not talking about the noodle part, I know that’s sundried)?
AHH!! They are both sun dried. I am so sorry about that…fixing now!
This looks amazing!!!!! The ingredients are going on my grocery list for next week!
Absolutely delicious! I was surprised by how flavorful it was! Definitely adding it to the rotation! Thanks!
YAY! Glad you gave the recipe a great review! Next time I am going to add aged balsamic vinegar for a little sweetness 😀
Looks delicious ! I was wondering if you could post recipes for school lunches? I’m trying to eat healthier while trying to balance out homework and exercise and I would like some simple, quick and healthy lunch recipes. Thanks 🙂
Oooooh that’s a great idea! Do you have any dietary restrictions?
I love the flavour of caprese so this stuffed chicken recipe is just perfect for me. Definitely perfect for a delicious weeknight dinner.. thanks for sharing the great recipe!
I have stuffed chicken breast before, with feta cheese and arugula or something like this. And my Family was indeed impressed 😉 The Caprese combo sounds pretty amazing!
This looks great! I’ve done Jalapeño Popper chicken, stuffing the chicken breasts with a mixture of cream cheese, cheddar, and pickled jalapeños. I didn’t have any string so I used toothpicks to keep the chicken rolled up. Your recipe is next on the menu!
YUMMMMM! That sounds incredible. Stuffed chicken for EVERYONE!!!!
I love stuffed chicken but never knew how simple it was. You da bomb.
bomb bomb bomb
Do you eat chicken in Australia?