This Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe is an easy, healthy dinner that will wow your dinner guests. With only a few ingredients and easy step-by-step instructions, you’ll have this delicious dinner ready in under 60 minutes. Enjoy!
What is Caprese Chicken?
Let me break it down for you: mozzarella + tomato + basil + chicken breast = amazingness. It’s no surprise that caprese has been a popular Italian combination since forever, which is why we decided to combine everything you love about traditional caprese flavors (tomato, basil, mozzarella) with one of our favorite healthy proteins: chicken breast! And instead of fresh tomato slices, we jazzed this recipe up with sun-dried tomatoes. Swoon.
And while many stuffed chicken recipes call for you to actually slice a pocket in the chicken breast (or butterfly it), we found it’s MUCH easier to roll these bad boys up like a taco stuffed with all the caprese deliciousness. You’ll start by flattening the chicken breasts with a meat tenderizer, which will make them even thickness, and allow you to easily roll them up. It will also allow them to cook evenly and perfectly all the way through.
How to Make Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breast
While this is definitely a show stoppin’ recipe, we pinky swear it’s easy to make. Get ready to WOW your family, neighbors and friends, Fit Foodie loves. Let’s get into it:
Step 1: Preheat
First, preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
Step 2: Chicken Prep
Next, prepare your chicken breasts by laying them flat on a cutting board. Then, using a meat tenderizer, pound until the chicken flattens out and is the same thickness all around (about 1/2-inch thick). This step is crucial, as it will ensure that your stuffed chicken breast is evenly cooked all the way through.
Step 3: Season
Season both sides of chicken breast to taste with salt and pepper.
Step 4: Stuff Chicken with Caprese Ingredients
Then, place about 1 oz. of mozzarella cheese, a few basil leaves, and a tablespoon of sun-dried tomatoes in the center of your chicken breast.
Step 5: Roll ‘Em Up
Roll your chicken breast up, packing the mozzarella cheese, basil and sun-dried tomatoes in it tightly and then secure the chicken breast roll up with 2 pieces of baker’s twine.
Step 6: Bake
Place on baking sheet and drizzle each stuffed chicken breast with olive oil. Bake at 375ºF for about 30 – 40 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
Step 7: Enjoy
Serve with a drizzle of balsamic glaze, and enjoy! Oh, and if you’re looking for sides to pair with this recipe, keep on scrollin’ down 😀
In all, this dinner will take you under 60 minutes to make from start to finish. And it even tastes delish reheated, so it’s great for meal prep if you’d like to double or triple the recipe and bake enough stuffed chicken breasts for the week.
Sides to Pair with Stuffed Chicken
- Quinoa Tabuli Salad
- Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad with Quinoa
- Grilled Kale and Watermelon Salad
- Mexican Quinoa Salad
- The Best Kale Salad Recipes
- Best Quinoa Salad Recipes
- Creamy Greek Pasta Salad
Chicken Recipes on Fit Foodie Finds
- 18 Sous Vide Chicken Breast Recipes
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Chicken Meal Prep Recipes
- 4 Healthy Chicken Salad Recipes
- 6 Crockpot Chicken Freezer Meals
Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts Recipe Video
- 4 4-oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 ounces of mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, jarred in olive oil (~1 oz)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze*
- First, preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Next, prepare chicken breasts by laying them flat on a cutting board. Then, using a meat tenderizer, pound until the chicken flattens out and is the same thickness all around, about 1/2-inch thick.
- Season both sides of chicken breast with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Then, place about 1 oz. of mozzarella cheese, a few basil leaves, and a tablespoon of sun-dried tomatoes in the center of your chicken breast.
- Roll chicken breast, packing it tightly and then secure 2 pieces of baker’s twine.
- Place on baking sheet and drizzle each stuffed chicken breast with olive oil. Bake at 375ºF for about 30 – 40 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve with a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
Tips & Notes
- Balsamic glaze: this can either be a homemade balsamic reduction or store-bought balsamic glaze.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 Calories: 377 Fat: 21 Carbohydrates: 12 Fiber: 3 Protein: 36
Keywords: stuffed chicken