This healthy breakfast casserole is absolutely delicious! It is made with sweet potato hash browns, sweet peppers, and cheese. This recipe is perfect for a breakfast meal prep recipe or even a healthy brunch option! Feel free to add your own twist and add your favorite veggies. The sky is the limit!
If there is one thing all three of us love, it’s BREAKFAST. No matter where Team Fit Foodie starts the day, breakfast is always a priority. We differ on what our favorite dishes are, but we all agree that breakfast is the best meal of the day.
Pancakes, breakfast casseroles, bacon, eggs, donuts, and everything in between. We love eating it, we love making it, and we love finding new places to enjoy a good all American breakfast. We’ve recently been really into Freehouse and their $5 breakfast, Birchwood’s savory waffle, and Honey and Rye’s breakfast sandwich! If you’re in the twin cities, check all of these places out!
How to Make a Healthy Breakfast Casserole
Honestly, breakfast casseroles are one of the easiest meal prep breakfast recipes or brunch recipes that you can make.
- The first step is to choose your favorite vegetables and chop them up.
- Next, decide if you want this dish to be dairy-free. If you do, skip the cows milk and use almond milk and skip the cheese. If you are able to eat dairy, pick your favorite cheese and shred it up.
- Throw all of your ingredients into a deep casserole dish and cover with 8-10 eggs that have been whisked and combined with milk.
Yes, I make it sound easy because it is! We love this specific healthy breakfast casserole recipe because it is made with sweet potato hash browns, all of our favorite veggies, and GOUDA. For us, it doesn’t get much better than that. We love to meal-prep this to reheat for the week or we love to stick a piece of casserole in between an English muffin for a fun breakfast sandwich. Again, sky is the limit!
Healthy Breakfast Casserole Recipes
- 1 large sweet potato, grated (~3 cups)
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed and minced
- 6 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 12 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded gouda cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Grate sweet potato with skin on and place into the casserole dish. Add white onion, green pepper, garlic, and cooked bacon to the casserole dish. Mix all vegetables and bacon together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs together until combined. Add milk and to the eggs and whisk again. Next, add mustard, paprika, salt, and hot sauce to egg mixture and whisk one final time.
- Pour egg mixture into the casserole dish. Making sure all vegetables and bacon are covered.
- Place casserole dish into the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Then add cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Option to prep this casserole the night before and bake in the morning!
- Depending on the size of your casserole dish, you may need to cook for more or less time. We used a 9×12-inch.