This Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie is packed with protein and even has a full serving of greens in it. The best part is, it’s healthy and tastes exactly like a peanut butter cup!
There really isn’t a better combination than chocolate, peanut butter, and banana. These three flavors together taste like dessert and we’re totally here for that.
Why Make this Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie?
You get your veggies and the deliciousness of a peanut butter cup all in one! Here is why we love this chocolate peanut butter smoothie.
Naturally sweetened- Say heck no to those sugar-packed juices and rely on the sweetness of the frozen fruit you use in smoothies. This chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie is sweetened solely with the frozen bananas used as the base.
Veggie Packed- Add an extra serving of vegetables to your meal in a cup. This chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie is packed with spinach and guess what? You can’t even taste it!
Pantry Staples- Smoothies are easy to mix together when you have all of the right ingredients in your pantry already. For this smoothie, make sure you have cocoa powder, peanut butter, almond milk, and flaxseed on hand at all times.
What You Need
The beauty about all smoothies on Fit Foodie Finds is the fact that we make fruit smoothies, meaning there is no ice involved!
- Frozen Banana: frozen banana is the base of this smoothie. Check out our guide to freezing bananas so you can be ready for smoothie making at any time.
- Peanut butter: any brand of peanut butter will work for this recipe. We love Smuckers All-Natural!
- Cocoa powder: Make sure to use unsweetened cocoa powder so that you’re not adding more sugar.
- Flaxseed: flax is a great way to add healthy fats and fiber, without altering the flavor of this chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie.
- Spinach: I promise you that you can’t even taste the spinach. Just make sure you blend blend blend so that the spinach purees and is hidden.
- Milk: any kind of milk works for this recipe. We prefer almond milk.
The great thing about this chocolate peanut butter smoothie is that it’s really good at masking the flavors of other add-ins such as more spinach and other veggies too! Here are some add-in ideas:
Protein Powder: Swap out a tablespoon or two of the cocoa powder for your favorite chocolate protein powder for more grams of protein.
guide to protein powder
Looking for the best protein powder to buy? Check out our Guide to Protein Powder where we share our top plant-based and whey protein powders.
Vanilla: add a splash of vanilla extract. This will enhance the peanut butter cup flavor.
Frozen Cauliflower: frozen cauliflower is a great veggie to add for more nutrients. I do this in almost all my smoothies and you can’t even taste it!
How to Blend a Smoothie
Blending a smoothie might be the easiest thing you’ve ever done!
- Place all ingredients into your high-speed blender. Make sure that your bananas are right out of the freezer.
- Blend on high for 1-2 minutes, adding more milk as needed. Blend until the smoothie is smooth with no chunks.
easy chocolate magic shell
Love the magic shell in those photos?! It’s so easy to make and will make your kids swoon over this chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie. Here’s what you need:
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
Directions: melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in a medium bowl. Then, dip the top part of your smoothie glass into the magic shell and immediately place the cup in the fridge for 10 minutes to harden.
- 2 cups sliced frozen bananas
- 3 tablespoons all-natural creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 cup fresh spinach, packed (or more, if that’s your jam!)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or more, depending on how thick you like it)
- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender.
- Blend on high until smooth, making sure there are no spinach chunks visible. You may need to add a little more almond milk depending on how thick/thin you like your smoothies.
Tips & Notes
- Easy Homemade Magic Shell: Melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a medium bowl. Then, dip the top part of your smoothie glass into the magic shell and immediately place the cup in the fridge for 10 minutes to harden.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/2 Calories: 328 Sugar: 21 Fat: 16 Carbohydrates: 48 Fiber: 11 Protein: 10
Keywords: chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie