This maple hot toddy is soul-soothing and the perfect hot cocktail to warm you up this winter season.
Let’s face it, we midwestern gals gotta stay warm during the winter, which is why you have to make our maple hot toddy recipe! Typically I like to drink our apple cider hot toddy because it is a bit sweeter, but this maple variation is so soul-soothing and delicious. Trust me when I say this is my new go-to winter drink because it is THAT easy to make.
We first came up with the concept to make a maple hot toddy when my friend Courtney from A Paige of Positivity and I were filming videos together. We had a little bit of maple syrup left in the jar and thought it would be fun to mix up a drink right in the bottle.
What is in this hot hot toddy recipe?
- Lemon juice
- Maple syrup
- Hot water
- Lemon wedges
- Cinnamon stick
- Star anis
Best whisky for a hot toddy?
We used Rebel Yell whisky for this recipe, but any high-quality whisky works.
Get our Top 10 5-Star Recipes!
Join our email list for new recipes and BONUS: get our top 10 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ recipes e-book!
Substations for this Recipe
- Booze: classic hot toddies are made with whisky, but you could use bourbon, too.
- Sweetener: lots of hot toddies use honey and I’ve made this recipe with honey as well and it’s delicious.
- Liquid: if you’re feeling fancy, feel free to use hot apple cider or hot apple juice instead of water.
Large Batch Hot Toddy recipe
If you’re looking to make a large batch winter cocktail for you and your friends. Here’s some quick math to serve 8:
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1.5 cups whisky
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 6 cups hot water
- 8 lemon wedges
- 8 cinnamon sticks
- 8 star anis
I love drinking these maple hot toddies out of a to-go mug at a fire along with some finger foods such as our Maple Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers, Buffalo Chicken Meatballs, or Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip.
Email Me this Recipe
Share your email, and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus, enjoy weekly doses of recipe inspiration as a bonus!
"*" indicates required fields
Maple Hot Toddy
- Add ½ tablespoon of maple syrup, 1.5 oz. whisky and ¼ oz. lemon juice to the bottom of 2 glasses. Then add a lemon wedge, 1 cinnamon stick, and 1 star anis to the glass.
- Pour 6 oz. “almost-boiling” hot water into each glass and stir.
- Let sit for a few minutes to steep and enjoy.
Tips & Notes
- Hot water tip: we actually used our kettle for this recipe because it will heat your water up perfectly!
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Ashley McGlaughlin from The Edible Perspective.