Warm your soul with this homemade hot toddy recipe! This adult beverage mixes together cinnamon whiskey, apple cider, and citrus for a delicious winter drink.
What is a Hot Toddy?
A hot toddy is a spiced whiskey drink served hot and typically made with whole spices, fresh herbs, citrus, and whiskey.
We’ve taken things up a notch by using a hot apple cider base Instead of water. It’s how I’ve always made my hot toddies and to be honest, I think it makes this drink 100x better!
You’ll love this hot toddy recipe if…
- you love cinnamon
- you need to warm your body up
- you love fresh herbs and spices
There is a short list of hot toddy ingredients that you need for this recipe, so let’s start off by gathering!
- Apple Cider (use our homemade apple cider!)
Best hot toddy whiskey to use
To make the recipe as is, we recommend using Fireball whiskey. We’re big fans of cinnamon and Fireball really adds an amazing flavor to these hot toddies. Pretty much any kind of whiskey will do, but here are some more options:
- Maker’s Mark
- Wild Turkey 101
Don’t love whiskey? Try using a spiced or dark rum instead! I bet it would be equally as delicious! OR – try one of our vodka cocktail recipes, instead! OR- drink it virgin without any booze at all 😀
How to Make a Hot Toddy
1. Simply place apple cider, orange slices, fresh cranberries, rosemary, and cinnamon sticks into a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium/high heat.
2. Once boiling, turn the burner down to low and let simmer for around 10 minutes.
3. While the cider is simmering, pour about 1.5 oz. of whiskey onto the bottom of each glass. This step is great for those that don’t want any alcohol at all. Then, add your favorite garnishes such as an orange slice or a piece of rosemary.
4. Pour hot apple cider mixture on top of whiskey and drink immediately.
Serve a Crowd
The beauty of this recipe is that you can make it for four or for a crowd. If I am making this hot toddy recipe for a party, I just double or triple the recipe and whip it up in a big stockpot or dutch oven. It’ll get your house smelling amazing.
You can even pour the whiskey right into the stock-pot to make serving even easier. Just make sure you do your multiplication right or things could get super boozy…FAST!
More Hot Cocktails
- 4 cups apple cider (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 large orange, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries (+more for garnish)
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 2 cinnamon sticks (or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon)
- 6 oz. Fireball whiskey
- Place apple cider, orange slices, fresh cranberries, rosemary, and cinnamon sticks into a large pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium/high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add 1.5 oz. Fireball whiskey to the bottom of 4 glasses along with an orange slice and a few cranberries.
- Then, pour the hot apple cider mixture on top of Fireball and stir.
- Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Easy double or triple this recipe and make in a large stock-pot or dutch oven to serve a crowd!
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 Calories: 250 Sugar: 45 Sodium: 60 Fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 47 Fiber: 2 Protein: 0
Keywords: hot toddy