This protein puppy chow is reminiscent of our favorite childhood sweet treat but with the added benefit of more protein! You get to satisfy your sweet tooth while getting in 15g of protein per serving. We’re obsessed.
Love desserts? Us too! Subscribe to our emails and get all of our best desserts straight to your inbox.
THIS GIVEAWAY IS CLOSED: This protein puppy chow is part of our 2024 Protein Dessert Series. If you make this recipe, snap a photo and upload it to the comment section to enter for a chance to win a HADEN Dorchester coffee maker. You’ll also be entered into a greater giveaway for this series — a $500 lululemon shopping spree! Winners will be chosen on January 31.
Puppy chow was one of my favorite treats growing up—the melted peanut butter, chocolate, and powdered sugar. My favorite part was always pouring all of the ingredients into a brown paper bag and shaking like crazy until all of the Chex mix was coated in peanut butter goodness.
I also LOVE when the ingredients clump together to make big pieces of deliciousness. This recipe is an elevated version of that childhood puppy chow, we just skip the powdered sugar for a tasty protein powder.
What You Need for Protein Puppy Chow
There are only 5-ingredients that you need to make this recipe. Grab a box of Chex cereal, chocolate chips, coconut oil, peanut butter, and protein powder and you are all set.
guide to protein powder
Looking for the best protein powder to buy? Check out our Guide to Protein Powder where we share our top plant-based and whey protein powders.
Substitutions and Variations
You can use rice, wheat, or corn Chex for the Chex cereal for the puppy chow.
Semi-sweet chocolate chips are preferred because they aren’t overly sweet. Feel free to use milk chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, or any chocolate you have on hand. Know that it will change the flavor of the Chex mix.
Any nut butter can be used in place of peanut butter. The flavor of the Chex mix will change, but still be delicious.
Feel free to add other mix-ins to the puppy chow to create a ‘Chex Mix’ type snack. Mini chocolate chips, pretzels, mini M&Ms, or peanuts are great options.
Top Tips for Protein Puppy Chow
- Use a large paper bag: To be sure every Chex is covered with protein powder, we highly recommend pouring the peanut butter and chocolate-covered Chex into a large paper bag. Add the protein powder to the bag and roll the top down. Shake the mixture until all of the Chex are covered in protein powder,
- Amount of protein powder: Depending on the protein powder and peanut butter that is used, you may need to add more protein powder to the mixture. Different protein powders will absorb differently into the peanut butter and chocolate mixture.
Storage and Freezer Directions
After the Chex are coated in protein powder, allow the protein puppy chow to set. Store the puppy chow in an air-tight container in a cool place for up to 5-7 days
Freezer instructions: let the puppy chow set completely and then transfer it to a freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
What to Serve with Protein Puppy Chow
Serve this protein puppy chow alongside other delicious protein treats. We recommend the
Email Me this Recipe
Share your email, and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus, enjoy weekly doses of recipe inspiration as a bonus!
"*" indicates required fields
Protein Puppy Chow
- Add chocolate chips, peanut butter, and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the mixture in 20-second increments, stirring after each increment, until the mixture is melted and glossy. This will take around 2 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of the Chex to the bottom of a large bowl. Pour half of the melted peanut butter and chocolate over the Chex. Fold the ingredients together until coated.
- Add the rest of the Chex and cover with the remaining melted peanut butter and chocolate. Fold until the second layer is coated. It’s okay if there are chunks of Chex stuck together.
- To coat the chex with protein powder, leave the mixture in the bowl or transfer it to a paper bag. Add ½ cup of the protein powder to the mixture and if it’s in a bowl, gently stir until coated with protein powder. Add the second half cup of protein powder and toss again. If using a paper bag, pour all the protein powder into the bag. Roll the top over and shake the bag until the Chex are coated.
- Let the puppy chow cool before storing it in an airtight container in a cool and dry place.
Tips & Notes
- The flavor of this puppy chow will change based on what protein powder is used. We tested this recipe with Garden of Life Whey Vanilla and Vital Protein Vanilla Collagen. Both were delicious.
- You could also use chocolate protein powder in this recipe.
- You can swap the Rice Chex out for Corn Chex or Wheat Chex, too.