Take lasagna night up a notch and make these lasagna roll ups. We slather a delicious meat and cheese sauce on a lasagna noodle, roll it right up, and then bake it with marinara sauce. It’s fun, easy, and perfect for a weeknight dinner.
Easy Lasagna Roll Ups
Sick and tired of classic lasagna? Mix things up and make these fun and easy lasagna roll-ups. Rather than layering all the ingredients together in a baking dish, you roll your lasagna filling into individual noodles. HOW FUN.
why we’re obsessed with these lasagna roll ups
- They offer easy serving sizes. No need to try to cut a lasagna into pieces when you can just serve people a roll or two.
- It is a super fun dinner to make with kids!
- These lasagna rolls are easy to make and perfect for a weeknight dinner or a party.
- They make great leftovers!
- You can make this recipe your own very easily by adding your favorite ingredients to the filling.
Get our Top 10 5-Star Recipes!
Join our email list for new recipes and BONUS: get our top 10 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ recipes e-book!
All the Ingredients You Need
- Lasagna Noodles- we used regular old lasagna noodles for this recipe. There is no reason to buy the no boil noodles because the noodles need to be cooked to roll them.
- Olive oil– a little olive oil to sauté all the ingredients together.
- Ground beef– the ground beef goes right into the filling, choose whatever ground beef is your favorite.
- Yellow onion– a bit of onion goes into the filling. Don’t skip it!
- Minced garlic– you can’t make lasagna without garlic. 🙂
- Fresh spinach– these are spinach and ground beef lasagna roll ups. We sauté the spinach before we add it to the cheese sauce.
- Marinara sauce – there are so many pasta sauces out there. Choose your favorite one for this recipe.
- Whole milk ricotta cheese– the base of the cheese filling is a rich ricotta cheese.
- Shredded mozzarella cheese– you can use pre-shredded cheese or you can shred yourself.
- Shredded parmesan cheese– you can use pre-shredded cheese or you can shred yourself.
- Fresh thyme– fresh thyme adds both flavor and color to these roll ups.
- Garlic powder-the garlic powder adds a great bunch of flavor.
- Salt– salt makes everything better.
We love this recipe because there are so many ways to make it your own. Below are some great substitution options for the ingredients above.
ground beef —> ground turkey, ground chicken, or Italian sausage (or a mixture)
yellow onion—> white onions
fresh spinach —> frozen spinach (thawed and rung out) or kale
Want more veggies?
If you are looking to add more veggies to this recipe, go for it! Sliced tomatoes, minced carrots, sautéd mushrooms, or even minced peppers would be delicious!
How to Make Lasagna Roll Ups
This easy lasagna roll recipe has a few steps but you won’t regret making them! You can eat them immediately after baking or freeze them for later.
Prepare the noodles. Before you do anything you are going to cook your noodles so they are ready for when the filling is made. Boil a large pot of salted water and cook the noodles until they are just shy of al dente. They will continue to cook in the oven.
Strain the noodles and then rinse them with cold water so they stop cooking. Then, lay them flat out on a baking sheet and drizzle them with olive oil so they do not stick together.
Quick tip: Make a few extra lasagna noodles just in case some of your lasagna noodles rip!
Sauté meat + veggies. You are going to cook your meat and veggies together in the same large pit or dutch oven. Start by browning the meat and then add the onion and garlic to the meat. Cook them together until the onion is translucent.
Add the spinach to the pot and cover until the spinach wilts. Toss all of the ingredients together until combined and then set aside.
Make cheese filling. The cheese filling instructions for this recipe are simple. Add the ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, and 1/4 cup parmesan to a bowl and mix. Add the garlic powder, fresh thyme, and salt to the bowl and mix again.
Finally, add the meat and spinach mixture to the ricotta mixture and mix everything together.
Assemble rolls. Before assembling the rolls, pour 1.5 cups of the marinara sauce into the bottom of the casserole dish you will be baking. Spread the sauce out. This will add sauce to your dish as well as make sure the lasagna noodles don’t stick to the bottom of the casserole dish.
The lasagna noodles should be laid out flat on the baking sheet. Add 2 heaping tablespoons if the cheese mixture to a lasagna noodle. Spread the mixture over the length whole lasagna noodle and then tightly roll the lasagna noodle up. Place the roll into the casserole dish.
Repeat the step above until all of the lasagna rolls are made.
Add marinara. Pour the other 1/5 cups of marinara over the roll ups.
Bake. Place the whole pan into the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Then. sprinkle the rest of the parmesan cheese and mozzarella over the top of the rolls. Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Enjoy. Let the lasagna rolls sit for 5-10 minutes to give the sauce time to absorb into the noodles. You don’t want to end up with watery rolls. Garnish with fresh basil or parsley.
The Key to Lasagna Rolls
The key to this recipe is to make sure you spread the cheese and meat mixture over the whole length of the lasagna noodle while you are assembling the lasagna rolls. This will make sure the cheese filling is spread evenly throughout each roll.
We are obsessed with thisu003ca href=u0022https://rstyle.me/+xZvuK4YCCYrEZiseQ_TdFQu0022u003e Le Creuset casserole dishu003c/au003e. The size, the color, and the cover. We use it for everything!
All Your Questions, Answered
How long to cook lasagna roll ups?
Since the lasagna noodles are already cooked, you only need to bake lasagna roll ups for 25-30 minutes.
What to serve with lasagna roll ups?
Can you make lasagna roll ups ahead of time?
Yes, lasagna roll ups are a great recipe to make ahead of time. Make them the night before serving. Wait to add the cheese at the end until you reheat them the next day. Reheat them at 350ºF for 10-15 minutes and then add the mozzarella and parmesan.
Can you freeze lasagna roll ups?
Yes, you can freeze lasagna roll ups. Let the lasagna roll ups freeze completely before covering them with aluminum foil and placing them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to reheat frozen lasagna roll ups?
To reheat the frozen lasagna rolls, remove the lasagna roll ups from the freezer and place them into a preheated oven (350ºF) and bake them for 45-50 minutes. You do not need to let them thaw before baking.
- 14 uncooked lasagna noodles cook 2 extra just in case!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 10 oz. fresh spinach
- 24 oz. marinara sauce ~3 cups
- 1.5 cups whole milk ricotta cheese 12-oz.
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- First, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles.
- Cook the lasagna noodles until they have a bit more of a bite than al dente. They are going to continue to cook in the oven.
- Strain the water from the noodles and rinse the noodles with cold water.
- Lay the noodles out flat on a baking sheet or on top of parchment paper and drizzle the noodles with oil. Set the noodles aside for later.
- Next, heat a Dutch oven over medium/high heat. Add the ground beef.
- Sauté the beef for 3-4 minutes and then add the onion and garlic to the meat.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the skillet, toss, and cover. The spinach should wilt within 2-3 minutes.
- When the spinach is wilted, remove from heat and set aside.
- Next, add the ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, fresh thyme, garlic powder, and salt to a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Add the spinach mixture to the cheese mixture and fold the spinach mixture into the cheese mixture until everything is combined.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- While the oven is preheating, assemble the lasagna roll ups.
- Pour 1.5 cups of the marinara sauce in the bottom of the casserole dish and spread the sauce out on the bottom of the dish.
- Next, spread 2 heaping tablespoons of the cheese and spinach mixture across the length of the whole lasagna noodle and then slowly roll the lasagna into a lasagna roll up.
- Place the roll up in the casserole dish on top of the marinara sauce. Repeat step 13 until you have 12 lasagna roll ups lined up in a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Pour another 1.5 cups of marinara sauce over the lasagna roll ups.
- Place the lasagna roll ups in the oven and bake the lasagna rolls at 350ºF for 25 minutes. Sprinkle 1/4 cup parmesan and 1/2 cup mozzarella on top and bake again for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the lasagna roll ups sit for 5 minutes and then enjoy.