What’s better than a peanut butter cup? A peanut butter cup amped with extra protein! Make these delicious protein peanut butter cups with just a few ingredients!
Easy Protein Peanut Butter Cups
Need a little afternoon pick-me-up? Try our protein peanut butter cups! Made with peanut butter, dark chocolate, and protein powder, you won’t feel any guilt eating this protein dessert.
We love this recipe because it only requires 4 Ingredients and a few minutes of your time. Plus, you can keep an entire bag of these protein cups in your freezer for emergencies 😀
Protein Peanut Butter Cups Ingredients
You only need a few ingredients to make these puppies.
Best Protein Powders
Check out our top protein powder recommendations for baking, smoothies, and everything in between.
Don’t have protein powder on hand, but do have collagen peptides? Try swapping the two for an equally delicious dessert.
Nut butter: can’t do peanuts? Any kind of nut butter will work! Try:
- cashew butter
- almond butter
- sunflower butter
Chocolate: instead of dark chocolate chips, feel free to use a dark chocolate bar or semi-sweet chocolate chips.
We recommend storing your protein PB cups in the freezer. Will last up to 3 months.
Protein Peanut Butter Cups
- 1/4 cup creamy, all-natural peanut butter
- 2-3 tablespoons vanilla protein powder We like Garden of Life
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil
- Fill a mini muffin tin with muffin liners. Then, spray them with coconut oilicooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the peanut butter and protein powder together. Start with 2 tablespoons of protein powder and go up from there. The amount of protein powder depends on how drippy your peanut butter is to begin with.
- Next, separate the peanut butter and protein mixture into 12 marble-sized balls (~1 teaspoon), and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt dark chocolate chips and coconut oil, stirring every 45 seconds until chocolate is smooth.
- Scoop one teaspoon of the chocolate mixture onto the bottom of each muffin liner. Then, place muffin tin into the freezer for about 10-15 minutes or until chocolate hardens.
- Next, place one protein peanut butter ball on top of each hardened chocolate, carefully flattening the ball with your finger until it has a smooth top.
- Finally, add two more teaspoons of the melted chocolate on top of the peanut butter to each liner to complete your peanut butter cup
- Place muffin tin in the freezer for another 10-15 minutes until chocolate is hardened.
Tips & Notes
- Store these cups in the freezer in an air-tight container or gallon-size ziplock.
HEY. I was on tv talking all about CHICKEN and how I love cooking chicken in the crock-pot! You can watch FFF’s segment on The Jason Show HERE.
Any chance you can substitute sugar free dark chocolate chips?
Haven’t done this yet but assuming it’s great, I have a question on a variation to make the filling sweeter. Have you ever added powdered sugar to the PB mix or will it not work with the protein powder? Would love BOTH in one and use the PB chips instead of chocolate. thank you for the recipe!
These were delicious and so easy to make! I used chocolate protein powder instead of the vanilla as that’s the flavour I have at home. It worked so great! Better than Reece’s. Thanks!!!!
did you still use the dark chocolate or no? i dont have any chocolate only chocolate protein powder
omg im so dumb, i didnt realzie it was for the coating🤦🏼♀️
I love how easy and delicious this recipe is!!!❤️
Excellent stuff! Thanks for the inspiration!
Oh, hello my sweet peanut butter love bugs. I have a variation of these peanut butter cups in my freezer pretty much at all times! The recipe is super forgiving if you want to make variations to taste or for ingredients that you have on hand. Perfect dessert or snack!
thanks for sharing to telling about this recipe.
Wow! looks delicious. I would try making these protein peanut butter cups for sure! Thanks for sharing Lee!
These sound great but I’m allergic to coconut, even coconut oil. What do you recommend as a substitution?
Try using cocoa butter.
How do you typically store these? I have them in the fridge but the chocolate gets so hard that they don’t bite nicely (trying to savor it and not one bite it!). Would they keep at room temp?
I store them in the freezer!
Anyone know if you can use pb2 instead of regular peanut butter?
Hi Melisa! You can not sub PB2 as you need the fat from the peanut butter for this recipe <3
Finally I can replace my chocolate peanut butter malt ball habit. These are sooooo good. I also used Lily’s Chocolate Chips sweetned with Stevja like someone else said, but I just microwaved them to melt. And I used Jay Robb’s protein powder. One big piece was plenty of sweetness to combat my craving. Just three points on Weight Watchers, which is well worth it. Thank you! I can’t wait to try your other recipes.
<3 glad you loved them!
Girl, YAS!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this!!! It turned out freaking amazing and I”m using these at an event tomorrow. Love, love, love this recipe!!!!! <3<3<3
YAY!!!! Hope your event peeps love them.
What if you dont have coconut oil? can i use olive oil?
Olive oil should work! Any kind of oil, for that matter!
These would make EXCELLENT gifts for gym-rat friends!
How do you get the peanut butter to roll into a ball? Mine is just a goopy mess that sticks to the spoon or my hand and never forms a hardened ball.
Add more protein powder and mix well with a spoon or small spatula until you can form it into balls!
omg… i just made these & already passed this recipe along to 2 pb cup lovers i know. so good & so easy.
WOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing the love 🙂
I just made these in preparation to add them to the banana ice-cream and they are soo good.
I used pure peanut butter, hemp protein and added a little stevia and vanilla extract.
Melted Lilly’s dark chocolate stevia sweetened chips over a dbl boiler.
Thanks for your website and inspiration! Loril
Yum!!!! I want to make some now 😛
I bet my Vanilla Shakeology would be great to add to these yummy little pb cups too! I am so excited to give it a try 🙂 Thanks for sharing!!
Yum yum yum!
Oh this recipe looks soooo good! Love peanut butter cups! 🙂 thankyou for sharing this recipe! Healthy eating is so important for your body! That along with regular massages makes your body happy! 🙂