Ditch the chips for a healthier nacho and use mini bell peppers! These Fajita “Nachos” are cute, delicious, and healthy. They’re made with mini bell peppers, Laura’s Lean Beef 96% lean ground beef, and avocado crema.
Guess what’s right around the corner mis amigos? FOOTBALL SEASON. How do I know this? Well, Mark’s got his spreadsheet out and he’s doing all this research in preparation for his big draft. LOLZ. I, on the other hand, have been scheming new game day recipes because that’s just what I do. Today’s recipe is in partnership with the amazing Laura’s Lean Beef! Not only do we love Laura’s because they raise their cattle without the use of added hormones or antibiotics, and on all-vegetarian feed, but because of the flavor. Quality and flavor are so important when choosing meat because it really makes a difference in your end result and in your health! If you’re wondering where to find Laura’s, use this product finder. Speaking from experience, I get mine from Target. #convenience
How cute are these “nachos.” We’ve been all about using veggies instead of chips at Fit Foodie Finds (cauliflower & sweet potato), but these fajita nachos take things to the next level. All you need are a bag of mini bell peppers, Laura’s 96% Lean Beef (92% works too!), a bunch of spices, and cheese (optional)! This recipe is gluten free, grain free, and easily modified to be paleo.
Can we stop and talk about the meat for a second? Don’t skimp on spices! Here’s what you’ll need for this recipe:
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- garlic powder
- teaspoon salt
And are you ready for my secret for making the most flavorful meat ever? Spices + sweet = love. I almost always add a little bit of maple syrup to my taco meat, chili, etc. because that little bit of sweet really brings out the flavors of the meat. You don’t need a lot, maybe like a teaspoon or two, but shhhhhh. It’s our little secret, okay?
Once you’ve got your mini bell peppers all seasoned up and stuffed with your meat, it’s time to sprinkle with cheese and give them a bake! In under 30 minutes you’ve got yourself a healthy game day snack that doubles as any kind of year-round snack or dinner. Yippieeee.
Don’t forget to have fun with your toppings. We made a nummy avocado crema, but options are endless! You could use
- raw avocado
- Greek yogurt
- more cheese
For the Nachos
- 1 lb. Laura’s 96% Lean Ground Beef (92% works too!)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons green chiles, canned
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb. mini bell peppers, halved
- olive oil cooking spray
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 large white onion, finely diced
- 1 cup shredded cheese (any kind)
- fresh cilantro, minced
For the Avocado Crema
- 1 ripe avocado, large
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt, plain
- 1–4 tablespoons water (depending on how thick you want the crema)
- pinch of salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare meat by heating a large pan to medium/high heat. Add meat, chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, maple syrup, green chiles and salt and sauté until meat is fully cooked. Set aside.
- Prepare your mini bell pepper “chips” by cutting the tops off. Then half each one and clean out the inside.
- Place peppers on baking sheet and spray with nonstick cooking spray and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Then, stuff with cooked meat. Sprinkle on white onion and cheese and place in oven.
- Bake at 400ºF for 10 minutes.
- While the nachos are baking, prepare avocado crema by blending together all ingredients. The more water you add the thinner it will become, just depends on your preference!
- Serve nachos with avocado crema and fresh cilantro.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 Calories: 358 Sugar: 8 Sodium: 1591 Fat: 17 Carbohydrates: 22 Fiber: 8 Protein: 33
The post is sponsored by Laura’s Lean Beef. I was compensated and all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting Fit Foodie Finds!