Make your own Homemade Taco Seasoning with just 9 ingredients you likely already have in your spice cupboard, and you’ll be on your way to the most flavorful meat or veggie tacos in no time.
DIY Taco Seasoning
Ditch the store-bought taco seasoning for this super flavorful clean ingredient taco seasoning. Made with the following ingredients that you likely have in your spice cupboard already:
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Coarse sea salt
- Red pepper flakes
- Ground black pepper
- Ground oregano
- Smoked paprika
This taco seasoning is mild as-is, but if you prefer a spicier spice mix, add more smoked paprika or red pepper flakes. If you like it hot-hot, add a bit of cayenne pepper to the mix.
Our Go-To Spice Jars
In case you’re in the market for some cute spice jars for homemade spice mixes, check out some of our favorites below! They’re super affordable and in the long run, you’ll end up saving money especially if you start buying your basic spices in bulk.
Taco Seasoning Ideas
This taco seasoning doesn’t need to be JUST for tacos! The flavorful combination of spices works great on the following:
- Flavor soup: Use this seasoning to give your chili or taco soup some extra flavor!
- Spice rub: Use this taco seasoning as a spice rub for any kind of meat such as chicken, beef, carnitas, or shrimp. Give your meat a nice pat down and let sit for about 20 minutes before cooking with your preferred method.
- Homemade tortilla chips: Ever made our own tortilla chips? This spice mix would be so yummy sprinkled on top of chips!
- Roasted veggies: If you’re roasting a bunch of veggies, you’ll love the flavor this seasoning gives your veggies. Follow our tutorial for how to roast sweet potatoes, but use this taco seasoning instead!
How to Use Taco Seasoning
- Ground Beef Tacos
- Taco Soup
- Mini Taco Cups
- Taco Zucchini Boats
- Crockpot Chicken Taco Bowls
- Healthy Taco Pasta Salad
- 3/4 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
- 1/4 cup cumin
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 4 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1.5 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1.5 teaspoons ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Place all ingredients in a small glass container or mason jar and mix.
- Store in a cool, dark place.
Tips & Notes
- Taco meat: For 1 lb. of ground meat, use 1/4 cup homemade taco seasoning.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 cup Calories: 82 Sugar: 1 Sodium: 1715 Fat: 2 Carbohydrates: 16 Fiber: 7 Protein: 3
Keywords: homemade taco seasoning