Whether you make this on game day or eat it as a main meal, this Mexican Ground Beef Skillet requires one pan only and only 40 minutes of your time!
We love ground beef recipes here at Fit Foodie Finds because beef adds so much flavor to whatever you are cooking. Keep scrolling for more healthy ground beef recipes.
This Mexican Beef Skillet is a Fit Foodie reader favorite. It’s one of our best healthy ground beef recipes because it’s veggie-packed, high-protein, and made with just one pan!
Seriously one of the BEST Healthy Ground Beef Recipes!
So this Beef Skillet. It’s all about versatility. Want to eat it as a healthy dinner idea? Need a game day app? Want a meal-prep lunch recipe? Girl, this works for all of that!
Made in just one pan, this Mexican skillet recipe is made with all the flavors, plus is packed with veggies, beans, and rice, too!
In this post, we’ll teach you how to make one of the best ground beef recipes on the internet, how to serve it, and how to freeze it.
PS: this seriously might be one of the best healthy ground beef recipes we’ve ever made! Plus, it has hundreds of 5-star reviews!
What does this Mexican Ground Beef Skillet Taste Like?
Similar to our Mexican casserole, this skillet is made with ground beef, taco seasoning, rice, beans, and tons of veggies. It tastes similar to a burrito bowl, but it’s made in one pan on the stovetop.
How to Make a Mexican Ground Beef Skillet
- garlic: every good Mexican dish starts with garlic and that’s just a fact. Feel free to add more if your heart desires.
- yellow onion
- bell pepper: we love sneaking veg into our dishes when we can and bell peppers fit quite nicely in this skillet. Choose any color you’d like and even double it if you feel like it.
- ground beef: the star of this dish really is the ground beef. Now, we like a little fat in our ground beef, which is why we used 85%, but feel free to use a less fatty beef OR even swap it out for ground turkey.
- taco seasoning: we always have an all-purpose taco seasoning on hand at our house. It’s meant exactly for recipes like this! Basic spices, but a whole lot of flavor.
- tomato sauce: a little tomato sauce goes a long way. All you need is 1/2 cup and you’re good to go!
- green chiles: green chiles are mild for a pepper, yet they add really great flavor. If you like it spicy, be my guest and use jalapeños instead!
- black beans: black beans are another one of those Mexican essential ingredients. I keep a stock-pile of cans in my cupboard because they’re cheap and high protein. Feel free to use pinto instead!
- Instant rice: instant rice is pure magic. Let me stress the instant because in order for this to coo properly, you need to use instant rice, not regular rice. We tested this with both brown and white and they work swimmingly!
- shredded cheese: all skillets deserve to be topped with shredded cheese. Add as much or as little as you’d like!
Here are all of the essentials you need to make one of the most amazing Mexican ground beef recipes. PS: these are great kitchen items to have on hand for making all ground beef recipes!
As you know, this recipe only requires one pan and one pan only! That means the Instructions are rather simple.
- Cook Veggies: Start off by partially sauteeing the bell pepper, garlic, and onion in olive oil. The goal here is to get them partially cooked, but not all the way.
- Add Beef: Move the veggies to one side and add ground beef. Saute until the beef is fully cooked and then mix everything together.
- Add Rest of Ingredients: Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan and bring to a boil. Then, turn the burner down to low and cover it. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the rice has softened.
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3! And, clean-up is a breeze because you only dirtied one pan.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
Make your own u003cstrongu003eHomemade Taco Seasoningu003c/strongu003e with just 9 ingredients you likely already have in your spice cupboard, and you’ll be on your way to the most flavorful meat or veggie tacos in no time.
Nachos: Our personal favorite way to serve this skillet is with tortilla chips. That means you can either eat it as nachos for a main meal or an appetizer! Cough cough, game day! Try our ground beef nachos.
Tacos: Grab a few street taco shells and plop some of this in there as the filling. You get it all –> meat, veggies, and rice! Top it with a scoop of guac and you’re good to go! Here’s our fav ground beef tacos recipe.
Bowls: Eat this skillet as-is with #allthetoppings. Think avocado, hummus, fresh cilantro, and lime juice! Here’s a recipe for our fav Beef Taco Bowls.
Burritos: Got leftover skillet? Use it as filling for freezer burritos. Simply follow the directions in our Freezer Beef Burrito post on how to freeze for later!
Fridge: Let ground beef skillet cool completely. Then, transfer into a glass container. Will last in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
Freeze for Later
This is a great recipe to freeze for later! Hold off on adding the cheese and then let the skillet cool completely. Transfer into a freezer-safe, gallon-size bag and then remove as much air as possible. Seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
Common Questions About this Recipe
Can I use normal white rice or brown rice? Unfortunately, we only recommend using minute rice as both the cooking time and amount of liquid would change.
Can I use pinto beans instead of black beans? Yes! Any kind of beans will work for this recipe.
How do I make this less spicy? The best way to make this less spicy is to reduce the spice from the taco seasoning you use. Omit the paprika and cayenne pepper.
Can I make this vegetarian? We have tested this with a plant-based ground and it came out great. Feel free to use your favorite kind.
Can I sub quinoa instead? While we haven’t personally tried this, many of you have and said that quinoa works just great.
Can I use a different kind of ground beef? Yes! Many of you have made this recipe with ground turkey, ground chicken, and ground venison.
Mexican Ground Beef Skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 medium yellow onion minced
- 2 large bell peppers diced
- 1 lb. 85% ground beef
- 3 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons green chiles
- 15 oz. canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup quick-cooking brown rice quick-cooking white rice works too!
- 1.5 cups beef broth any kind
- 1/2 cup Mexican shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium/high heat in a large nonstick skillet*.
- When olive oil is fragrant, add garlic, onion, and bell pepper. Saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Then, move veggies to the side and add in ground beef. Saute ground beef for 7-9 minutes, or until fully cooked. Mix everything together in the pan.
- Once the beef is fully cooked, add taco seasoning, tomato sauce, green chiles, and black beans and cook for a few minutes. Then, add in quick-cooking rice and broth. Bring to a boil over medium/high heat.
- Once boiling, turn down to low and cover. Let simmer for around 20 minutes or until the rice has softened and absorbed the majority of the liquid.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of skillet and either let melt naturally or pop it in the oven at 400ºF for a few minutes to fully melt cheese.
- Serve beef skillet with chips!
Tips & Notes
- Skillet size: we used a 16-inch skillet, but if you use something smaller, just make sure it is deep enough. A dutch oven would work perfectly!
- Nutrition information includes our homemade taco seasoning recipe.
Top 5 Healthy Ground Beef Recipes
Here are our top 5 meals with ground beef that we just know you will LOVE. These recipes are packed with flavor, protein, and are easy to put together.
Beef Chili Recipe
The best chili recipe you’ll ever eat is right here! Our classic beef chili is made with ground beef, beans, diced tomatoes, and a homemade chili seasoning.
Ground Beef Tacos
Taco night has never been easier or more delicious than with these Easy Ground Beef Tacos that are seasoned with a simple (and clean ingredient!) homemade taco seasoning, and paired with your favorite toppings.
Best Meatball Recipe
Italian meatballs and pasta is a crowd-pleasing, kid-friendly dinner idea. This truly is the best meatball recipe and it’s simply made with ground beef, breadcrumbs, parmesan, and your favorite marinara!
Yummy Wild Rice Meatloaf
This Wild Rice Meatloaf packs all the savory flavors (+ 19g protein per serving!) you love during the colder months of the year. Cozy up and make this easy and delicious meatloaf recipe for dinner tonight!
Make tonight Italian night with this amazing crockpot lasagna! This lasagna is made with a flavorful meat sauce, a delicious cheese mixture, and is super easy to make. Make it for the family tonight or meal prep it for the week!
This was simple yet satisfyingly complex in its flavors. We thoroughly enjoyed it and my wife insists I keep it in the short rotation recipe pile. (I’m happy to do so!) Served simply with tortilla chips and sliced avocado – fantastic.
So happy to hear it!
This was easy and delicious!
I can’t believe how simple and quick this recipe was to make, yet it tastes like it took hours! This is definitely going to become a regular in my meal rotation.
My kids made burritos with it and we also used tortilla chips.
I really want to make this but I only have regular white rice. Is there a way to use that without cooking it first?
I just saw your note about this so never mind. I will definitely try it when I get some instant rice though! It looks delicious!
I made this on a whim. Had some ground beef in the fridge for the past 2 days & needed to cook but wanted something different. So, I googled “ground beef recipes” and immediately saw this. Took no time. I didn’t have insta rice so I made regular white rice in my rice cooker, and added it in the recipe as directed but fully cooked. I also added some fresh tomato at the end just to warm them. I didn’t have any beans so left those out. It was a hit and everyone LOVED this! I live in house of 4 guys. Hubby, 9 year old son, 14 year old son, and 76 year old Mexican uncle, who really approved of this.
–I got a picture without the cheese on top. I didn’t have chance to to take a photo with the cheese before everyone dug in! 😆
Wow! SO glad you and your fam loved this recipe, Mandi!
This was absolutely delicious. My kids made burritos with it and we also used tortilla chips.
I made this and I apsolutley loved it and it was very tasty 😋 give it 10/10
Aw 10/10?! We’re blushing 😀
This was amazing! We ate ours with chips but might also try tacos next time. I made it exactly as the recipe is written and my picky eater husband loved it! So happy to have a good recipe that has a meat other than chicken that is on lowish on calories. Although we might try it with some rotisserie chicken sometime too! Very versatile recipe!
Ohh this recipe would be so delish with rotisserie chicken!
I used regular jasmine rice and cooked with my veggies and meat. Used diced tomatoes instead of tomato sauce. Added in 2 cups low sodium beef broth. Brought it a boil and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Came out perfect.
So happy to hear these modifications worked for you, Christine!
made this with lean ground turkey and el pato (spicy tomato sauce) and it turned out AMAZING. super easy, love this recipe.
This was absolutely one of the best recipes I’ve ever tried!
Aw we’re blushing, Leighanna! So glad you enjoyed this skillet as much as we do 😀
Love the versatility not only in how to eat but in preparing it! Didn’t have everything on hand, but made it work! Subbed a can of red beans and a can of diced tomatoes with green chilis. Didn’t have tomato sauce so added a dab of tomato paste w juice from canned tomatoes. Will freeze some green peppers to add next time and like the idea of corn too! Great flavor and filling dinner! Thanks for the recipe 😊
Love love love this recipe!! Quick and Easy to make. It’s now one of my favorite go to dinner ideas that don’t cost much to make!
Awesome. Will have again! I used Knorr cheese and broccoli rice cause that is all I had on hand and it worked perfectly in this recipe.
So glad you enjoyed this, Michelle!
This meal was cheap, easy and quick! The only issue I had was that mine turned out a little bland.
OMG! Definitely going to be a staple dinner for my boyfriend and I! So moist and flavorful- and most importantly, easy & healthy!
Such a great recipe, for having guests over. Bookmarking this for my next friends reunion
In place of ground beef we used ground turkey and in place of rice we used califlower rice and reduced the water otherwise it would be too watery. Just my way of making it even that much more healthier. It turned out amazing and will cook this up day of the week.
Ooo these substitutions sound delish!