Make your own homemade steak seasoning with just 5 ingredients you likely already have in your spice cupboard, and you’ll be on your way to the most flavorful steak in no time.
Perfectly Easy Steak Seasoning
Making steak for dinner, but don’t know where to start with seasoning your beef? We got you! This incredible steak seasoning…
- is the perfect amount of savory and sweet. The salt + brown sugar helps to give you that yummy crust that everyone loves in a steak.
- doesn’t require you to run to the store and buy a bunch of spices you’ll never use again.
- is 100% is our favorite steak seasoning regardless of the cut of beef you’re using.
Plus, it’s only 5 ingredients — and bonus, you probably have these all on-hand in your spice cupboard already.
Why you’ll love it!
This steak seasoning is so incredibly tasty! It brings together the following simple spices for ultimate flavor perfection:
- Garlic powder
- Red pepper flakes
- Brown sugar
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Kosher salt
How to Use Steak Seasoning
When using this steak seasoning, be sure to massage it really well into the meat, and then let it rest “caked on” your steak for 30 minutes – 1 hour before cooking. This will result in super flavorful and tender steak 😀
How to Make Steak Seasoning
Add all of the ingredients for the steak seasoning into a jar or small bowl and mix. That’s it!
When you’re ready to season the steak
Season both sides of the steaks with steak seasoning. Massage the seasoning into the steaks and be sure they are completely coated. Let the steaks sit at room temperature for 30 minutes – 1 hour.
Cast Iron Steak
You’ll love this steak seasoning on our cast iron steak. It’s juicy, flavorful, and perfectly seasoned!
Is this steak seasoning spicy?
This steak seasoning is generally mild as is, but you can easily make it spicier:
Make it Spicier
If you prefer a spicier steak seasoning mix, add more red pepper flakes. If you like it hot-hot, add a bit of cayenne pepper to the mix.
How much steak seasoning do you need for 1.5 lbs. of meat?
A good rule of thumb for our steak seasoning is that you need about 1/3 cup of seasoning per 1.5 lbs. of meat.
Why make a large batch of this steak seasoning?
What’s great about this recipe is that it yields 1/3 cups of steak seasoning, which is enough for 2 steaks, but it’s super easy to double triple or quadruple the seasoning as you’re making it to store for later.
Storage: Simply make a large batch using the ingredients below, and then store in an airtight container in your spice cupboard for up to 3 months.
Recommended Spice Containers
In case you’re in the market for some cute spice jars for homemade spice mixes, check out some of our favorites below! They’re super affordable and in the long run, you’ll end up saving money especially if you start buying your basic spices in bulk.
Store extra steak seasoning in an airtight container in the your spice cupboard for up to 3 months.
- Add all of the ingredients for the steak seasoning into a jar or small bowl and mix.
- Season both sides of the steaks with 1 tablespoon of steak seasoning. Massage the seasoning into the steaks and be sure they are completely coated. Let the steaks sit at room temperature for 30 minutes – 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- This recipe yields approximately 1/3 cup of steak seasoning, which is enough seasoning for 1.5 lbs. of steak.
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Ashley McGlaughlin from The Edible Perspective.