You only need 8 real food ingredients to make these gluten free healthy lemon bars! They’re grain free, paleo, and lower in calories!
A healthy lemon bar recipe has been a long time request from many Fit Foodie Finds readers. To be honest, I had NO IDEA how to make a lemon bar so we set off to do some hard core research and testing. One of the best parts about testing recipes in general is that even if it doesn’t work out, chances are it still tastes good. This means, WE HAD LEMON BARS FOR DAYS.
Did you know that you can make these lemon bars without any grains, gluten, refined sugar, or butter? HUZZAH. The base is very simple, made with ground almond flour, coconut oil, vanilla, honey and salt and then the filling is even simpler made with eggs, lemon juice, honey, and coconut flour. That’s only 8 total (+ whole) ingredients!
Chicka chicka boom boom.
I am excited for this week because Team Healthy Glow Co. will be in town! We have so much planned for the rest of the year that it makes me giddy. Even bigger things are in the works 12 months out and I can’t wait to spill the beans. If you follow along on the Healthy Glow Co. IG Stories you will get a little preview of what’s coming 🙂MY OTHER VIDEOS
Video: Lightened Up Lemon Bars
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 16
For the Crust
- 1.5 cups almond flour, super fine
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the Filling
- 4 eggs, large
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 teaspoons coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line an 8-inch x 8-inch cake pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Prepare the crust by mixing together all ingredients, forming a ball. Transfer dough into pan and use your hands and/or a spatula to spread to the edges of the pan. The key is to make sure the crust is relatively the same thickness all around, so the spatula comes in handy especially for the edges.
- Bake crust for 10 minutes at 350ºF.
- While the crust is baking, prepare filling. Whisk 4 eggs in a medium-size bowl and then add the rest of the ingredients. Whisk again until there are no more coconut flour chunks.
- Once crust has baked for 10 minutes, remove from oven and pour on filling. Place back in oven and bake for an additional 18-20 minutes.*
- Remove from oven and let sit on the stove top for 10 minutes before transferring into the fridge. Chill for 2 hours before slicing.
- Slice into 16 squares and serve with a sprinkle of organic powdered sugar.
*The bake time for the filling depends on your oven. Keep a close eye on it! If it cracks in the center, don’t worry about it 🙂
- Serving Size: 1/16
- Calories: 135
- Sugar: 11
- Sodium: 37
- Fat: 8
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 4
As always, let us know if you make these lemon bars by sharing on social media and tagging @FitFoodieFinds and #FitFoodieFinds!