This easy blueberry crisp is made with simple ingredients like blueberries, lemon juice, and flour and is topped with a golden crumble on top. It is the perfect summer dessert!
The Best Blueberry Crisp
Is there anything better than a blueberry crisp that actually tastes like blueberries and has a crumbly and golden topping? We think not! This blueberry crisp is tart, sweet, and easy to whip up in no time.
why we love this blueberry crisp
- If you have leftover blueberries it is a great way to turn plain old blueberries into a delicious dessert.
- You only need 10 ingredients to make this blueberry crisp recipe.
- It is a healthier dessert option.
- This blueberry crisp recipe is the perfect bbq side!
Ingredients You Need
- Blueberries- fresh blueberries are the way to go in this blueberry crisp recipe! Be sure to rinse your blueberries and remove any stems.
- Vanilla extract– tossing the blueberries in a little vanilla extract adds the perfect amount of dessert flavor to any recipe.
- Lemon juice– lemon juice adds citrus and balances the sweetness of the blueberries with a little tartness.
- White whole wheat flour– you need flour for both the blueberry filling and the blueberry crisp topping.
- Salt– the salt in this recipe enhances all of the flavors this blueberry crisp recipe.
- Rolled oats– the rolled oats in the blueberry crisp topping adds a bite and they turn the most delicious golden brown color.
- Light brown sugar– we sweeten the oat topping up with a little brown sugar.
- Butter– the butter acts as a both a binder for the topping and creates the perfect golden brown color.
Don’t have everything you need for this recipe or do you want to make a substitution? Here are some options!
white whole wheat flour –> all purpose flour or almond flour
rolled oats–> quick cooking oats
light brown sugar–> white sugar or maple syrup
butter–> coconut oil
Tools You May Need
Important Things to Know
Fresh or Frozen Blueberries?
We always prefer fresh blueberries but frozen blueberries will work just fine! You can also use blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries! If you have all three check out our triple berry crisp!
Can i freeze this crisp?
Yes you can freeze this crisp! We recommend freezing the blueberry crisp before baking. Make the blueberry crisp recipe as written in a freezer and oven safe container.
Cover the container with saran wrap and freeze until ready to prepare the crisp. Why freeze it? Make this dessert recipe for family and friends (or yourself) to have a dessert recipe on hand for last minute gatherings.
Why do I need to add flour to a crisp?
Adding flour to the blueberry filling is the thickening agent in the blueberry crisp.
What enhances the flavor of blueberries?
You can use a few different ingredients to enhance the flavors of the blueberries. In this recipe we use lemon juice and salt!
Does Blueberry Crisp need to be refrigerated?
Yes, we recommend refrigerating the blueberry crisp, covered, for up to 5 days.
How to Make Blueberry Crisp
- Mix the blueberry filling ingredients. Add the blueberries, flour, vanilla, lemon juice, and salt in to a bowl. Toss the ingredients together.
- Make the topping. Place the oats, flour, brown sugar, salt, and softened butter into a separate bowl and cut the ingredients together until they are a cookie dough consistency.
- Layer the ingredients. Pour the blueberries in a greased 9×9 baking dish. Sprinkle the topping over the blueberry filling.
- Bake. Place the blueberry crisp in the oven and bake at 375ºF and bake for 30 minutes, cover with tin foil, and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Let it cool. Remove the crisp from the oven and let it cool for 10-15 minutes. This is important because it allows the blueberry filling to thicken to perfection.
blueberry crisp add-ins
It is always fun to mix things up by adding ingredients into the crumble topping! Below are some fun ideas!
- sliced almonds
- chopped pecans
- flax seeds
For the Filling
- 5 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- pinch of salt
For the Crumble
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons softened butter, unsalted
- First, preheat the oven to 375ºF and spray a 9-inch x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Next, place all of the ingredients for the filling into a large bowl and mix to combine. Transfer into the baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, prepare the crumble. Combine all ingredients with a wooden spoon and use your hands if needed. Make sure the butter is softened so that you can create a delicious, crumble topping.
- Transfer the crumble topping on top of the berries, making sure that it’s evenly spread out.
- Place crumble into the oven and bake at 375ºF for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, cover with tin foil. Then, place back into the oven and continue baking for 15 more minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 272 Sugar: 13 Sodium: 74 Fat: 12 Carbohydrates: 40 Fiber: 5 Protein: 3 Cholesterol: 31
Keywords: Blueberry Crisp
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Erin from The Wooden Skillet.