The best way to use up those summer berries is with this Triple Berry Crisp! This berry crumble is a better-for-you dessert for those warm summer nights when just want to eat something a la mode!
Is there anything better than a healthy dessert to cap off your summer night? I don’t think so!
This Berry Crisp is…
- Fresh – use up all of your fresh or frozen berries to create a delicious summer dessert.
- Slightly sweet – not too sweet, but still perfect for dessert.
- Ready in less than an hour!
Oh, and it requires minimal work! There’s no need to cook down the berries before popping them into the dish before baking.
Many of you have made our Triple Berry Crumble Bars and absolutely love them, which is why we wanted to make a similar recipe, but make it even easier to prepare.
Triple Berry Crisp
All fruit crisp recipes are made of 2 parts and this one is no exception. You’ve got your fruity, delicious filling and your sweet, oat-filled crumble topping! Here’s what you need:
- Berries: since this is a triple berry crisp, we used 3 kids of berries! We used blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries. You can use any kind, just make sure to use around 5 cups.
- Lemon Juice: A little bit of citrus will do wonders for your crisp. Don’t have lemon? Try orange!
- Vanilla Extract: A fun addition to really bring out all those yummy berry flavors.
- White Whole Wheat: Flour helps slightly thicken the berries as they cook down. Feel free to use all-purpose or gluten-free all-purpose instead.
Note: you’ll notice there is no added sugar in the filling. You can always add a few tablespoons of honey, maple, or even sugar if you’re hoping for a super sweet dessert!
- Rolled Oats: oats are hearty and nutty and the perfect base for a crumble topping. We suggest rolled, but quick-cooking works too!
- White Whole Wheat Flour: Flour is going to give your crumble a bit more substance, so don’t skip this part!
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar adds the perfect sweetness to this recipe. We’ve tested this with coconut sugar as well, so feel free to swap that 1:1.
- Butter: We’ve tested this recipe with softened coconut oil and I just have to say that butter is so much better. The flavor of butter + the brown sugar is heaven.
How long do you bake berry crisp?
Berry crisp will take around 45 minutes to completely bake. Make sure to cover it after 30 minutes so that the topping doesn’t burn.
How do you know the berry crisp is done?
You know your berry crisp is done when the berries have broken down and the juices begin to bubble. The crumble topping should also be golden brown.
Can I use a different-sized pan?
Yes! If you use something with more surface area, your cook time may reduce. Just make sure to keep an eye on your berries and also make sure the crumble doesn’t burn!
Triple Berry Recipes
Got more berries? Check out more of our triple berry recipes!
More Fruit Crisp Recipes
Triple Berry Crisp
For the Filling
- First, preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a 9-inch x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Next, place all of the ingredients for the filling into a large bowl and mix to combine. Transfer into the baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, prepare the crumble. Combine all ingredients with a wooden spoon and use your hands if needed. Make sure the butter is softened so that you can create a delicious, crumble topping.
- Transfer the crumble topping on top of the berries, making sure that it's evenly spread out.
- Place crumble into the oven and bake at 375ºF for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, cover with tin foil. Then, place back into the oven and continue baking for 15 more minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes