This Strawberries and Cream French Toast for two is the perfect special breakfast for any occasion. It’s made with yummy sourdough bread and a homemade lightened up whipped topping!
For My Valentine
“Oh, wow!” was my first reaction too!
These have to be some of the most beautiful pieces of French toast we’ve ever made here at Fit Foodie HQ. We wanted to make an epic Valentine’s Day breakfast (dedicated to Mark, of course), so I thought I would make his most requested breakfast of all time >> French toast!
We’ve been on a huge sourdough kick lately because we love the chewiness and flavor of it. So so sooooo yummy.
Maple Syrup vs. Aunt Jemima
I grew up eating some of the best French toast on this planet. My mom was a huge fan and she’s the one who introduced me to my main lady, Aunt Jemima. Nothing like some good ol’ AJ on top of French toast made from Wonder Bread. Thankfully I’ve upgraded since the 90’s to real maple syrup because it doesn’t get much better than that.
I feel like we go through way too much maple in this house, but not only is this natural source of sugar better for you, but I absolutely love the flavor maple gives. I’ve also upgraded from white bread, too. While this is a store-bought sourdough, I love going to a local bakery called Rustica for a fresh loaf here in Minneapolis.
Back to the maple syrup, do you keep your syrup in the fridge or the cabinet? I feel like this is always a huge debate. I’m a fridge girl. What about you?
Strawberries & Whip
I thought I’d make this sourdough French toast extra special with some strawberries and cream, one of my favorite flavor combos. Plus, strawberries were on sale and you know I’m a sucker for a good sale.
I’m sure you’re wondering how the cream is “healthy.” Well, we tested a few different versions and came up with a lightened up one that’s perfectly sweet and a little bit tangy. It’s made with half heavy whipping cream and half non-fat Greek yogurt and is sweetened with honey.
^^ I promise you are going to love it and so is your bae.
- Sheet Pan French Toast
- Pumpkin French Toast Cups
- Maple Pecan Overnight French Toast Bake
- PB Banana French Toast Bake
Sourdough French Toast
- 4 pieces of sourdough bread
- 3 large eggs
- splash of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Lightened-Up Whipped Cream
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- fresh strawberries
- maple syrup
- Preheat a large nonstick pan to medium/high heat.
- Then, place eggs, almond milk, and vanilla into a medium size bowl and whisk until combined.
- Soak sourdough bread in the egg mixture, making sure they’re fully coated on each side.
- Spray pan with nonstick cooking spray or use about 1/2 tablespoon of butter to grease the pan. Then, place French toast on pan and let cook for around 2 minutes per side, or until it begins to brown.
- For the lightened-up whipped cream, place all ingredients into a medium size bowl and use a hand mixer to whip on high until thickened. Make sure not to over whisk.
- Top French toast with whipped cream, fresh strawberries, and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/2 Calories: 533 Sugar: 15 Fat: 22 Carbohydrates: 60 Fiber: 4 Protein: 21
Keywords: French Toast